Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
I did a search and couldn't find anyone who had actually tried TiVoToGo, so I'll ask the question. I was attempting to set up TiVoToGo last night on my Windows 2000 laptop, and couldn't get it to work. I don't consider myself inept, but for anything dealing with Win2K, I can't discount the possibility that I'm just being a moron. Especially since I use it almost never (it's a laptop from work that I use only if I absolutely must).

Anyway, I got the new TiVo desktop installed without an issue. I entered my Media Access Key. It could see that I had two TiVo boxes (although oddly enough only one has been updated to support TiVoToGo so far), but when I'd try to connect it just told me it couldn't find the designated box (which it knew somehow was the updated box).

I followed the help directions to make sure transfers were enabled (even though I knew they were since I share shows between the two boxes), I made sure the TiVoToGo server was started on the PC client, etc. When I went into Access Control on TiVo desktop, I noticed that it thought the IP address for my TiVo boxes was either "unknown" or the IP address of my router.

Now I know the two TiVos can see each other, and I know that they can see my iMac, since I share pictures and music from that, so it shouldn't be a networking issue. Note that the two TiVos are wireless, and this PC (and generally my iMac) are wired.

I'm at a loss, and I was hoping that someone had actually managed to get it to work and could help me out.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Are they all on the same subnet? When I first got my Tivo I had two routers using two different sets of IPs.... that caused problems with picture/music sharing... then I put them all on the same subnet and everything was cool. I don't recall having to enable anything on my Tivo box to get TivoToGo to work...

The only other thing I might suggest is checking your firewall on the Win 2k box as with that you might be able to "see" the Tivo but not transfer.

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
SilentPanda said:
Are they all on the same subnet? When I first got my Tivo I had two routers using two different sets of IPs.... that caused problems with picture/music sharing... then I put them all on the same subnet and everything was cool. I don't recall having to enable anything on my Tivo box to get TivoToGo to work...

The only other thing I might suggest is checking your firewall on the Win 2k box as with that you might be able to "see" the Tivo but not transfer.
I just use one router - a Linksys WRT54G. I used to have 2 so I could intentionally subnet, but I dumped that since it wasn't really of benefit to me.

It's just odd that the TiVo box shows up as my router IP. I'll check the firewall settings when I get home.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
You might just try resetting your router or your Tivo to see if it gets a new IP if you're setting them dynamically which I assume you are otherwise you get a boot to the head... :)

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
SilentPanda said:
You might just try resetting your router or your Tivo to see if it gets a new IP if you're setting them dynamically which I assume you are otherwise you get a boot to the head... :)
Well, I sure would hate to get a boot to the head :D

Yes, I'm running DHCP, but in general the devices get the same IP everytime they boot. Thanks for all your feedback - I'll try both the firewall and the router reset just to see what happens. I'll let you know if I have any success tonight.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
emw said:
Well, I sure would hate to get a boot to the head :D

Yes, I'm running DHCP, but in general the devices get the same IP everytime they boot. Thanks for all your feedback - I'll try both the firewall and the router reset just to see what happens. I'll let you know if I have any success tonight.

Also I think you have to "allow transfers" from the Tivo.com website (log into your Tivo.com account and such).

-----
On a different note...

You can also try in your web browser on your PC to go to:

https://<tivo ip>/nowplaying/index.html

Username: tivo
Pass: use your media access key

You should see a page with all your currently recorded shows and links to download the .Tivo files. This doesn't circumvent any copy protection or anything so you'll still need the approriate media codecs on your Windows box.

More information located here .

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
SilentPanda said:
Also I think you have to "allow transfers" from the Tivo.com website (log into your Tivo.com account and such).
Yep, that's done.

SilentPanda said:
More information located here .
That's an understatement. Holy cow!

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
SilentPanda said:
Any luck? That TivoCommunity forum would probably be a good resource... it's got a wee bit of stuff on it... :)
Thanks for your help. I used the https access, which was sweet, and pulled down the files. Fast. And after downloading the appropriate codecs, I was on my way.

Now I just need to get it onto my Mac. I suppose I should pick up Nero or something, but I'll look through the TivoCommunity threads to see what else they have to say.

Thanks again!

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
emw said:
Thanks for your help. I used the https access, which was sweet, and pulled down the files. Fast. And after downloading the appropriate codecs, I was on my way.

Now I just need to get it onto my Mac. I suppose I should pick up Nero or something, but I'll look through the TivoCommunity threads to see what else they have to say.

Thanks again!

My weekend project might be figuring out how to compress the TivoToGo files... they're obscenely large (I always record in highest quality as I rarely keep anything on my DVR for extended periods of time...) 1 Hour of TV is around 2 1/2 gigs! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.