Has anyone asked AT&T about transferring unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by opticalserenity, Mar 10, 2011.

1. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

I'm selling my iPad today and picking an iPad 2 up tomorrow...has anyone called AT&T to ask about how to transfer the data?

2. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

My unlimited data has transferred from every iPhone since the first, so one would assume it would transfer. All you are doing is changing devices, not service. However, I would definitely ask ATT&T before hand, they are after all a cell phone company, and like to hide things.

3. opticalserenity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh I know, mine has as well.

I should have said, I won't have my SIM or iPad 1 any longer once I have the iPad 2.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes. You can xfer as long as your acct is in good standing. You have to call ATT iPad support for the switch. Do not sell your SIM w/ your iPad. It has personal info on it.

5. dstar macrumors regular

I called AT&T about this the other day. They told me to put the old sim into the new iPad.

If I were you I would take the old sim out of the original iPad and get a replacement from an at&t shop.

6. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Many posts here on it, they say it can and is being done. many are selling the SIM alone for more than the iPads are going for.

7. opticalserenity thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I can go to a local AT&T store and pick up a new micro SIM?

8. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

why would you even have to tell them? Drop the MicroSIM into your iPad 2 and it should just WORK

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, it will work but it will still be registered to the IMEI of your old iPad. If you drop the old SIM in your new iPad then ATT may think you are "double dipping" and cancel your acct.

10. opticalserenity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Except that unless the devices both "handshake" at the same time, AT&T would know you are only using one IMEI at a time with that SIM. Just like a phone...

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Right but that still violates the TOS -- same as if you used your iPhone4 MicroSim w/ Unlimited data on your iPad. That's using one device at a time too but a no officially kosher.

12. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I have a dream... that one day, I can buy a bucket of data and use it anywhere on any device, without BS TOS and random fees for nothing..

13. Bheleu, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

Bheleu macrumors 6502

Login for ATT - simple to upgrade.

Https://dcp2.ATT.com/OEPNDClient/
    With your e-mail account and password, you can update the IMEI info, etc.
    Very straightforward.

I plan to leave my micro SIM in my device, just update my account info. I keep both my unlimited plans on separate emails in case I ever want to part with one.

Also ATT already said the plans transfer if you want to call them and have their iPad department do it for you (not giving anyone a chance to screw mine up, lock myself in a room and tell my wife not to be disturbed for an hour - come out in less time than that but happier).