Has anyone been able to CONFIRM the 2011 logic boards have been fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by logicstudiouser, Mar 15, 2015.

1. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

Apple initiated a free logic board replacement program for 2011 models just a few weeks ago, my question, has anyone been able to confirm if the logic boards are any different or are they the same faulty ones? Has Apple or AMD made any changes to the logic board (such as reball)?

2. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Nobody knows sadly, But myself would just take advantage of the repair program until february 2016 and hopefully apple would release broadwell / skylake 15" mbp this fall which is good time for me to upgrade.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Almost certainly the machines come back working, not sure how anyone would know yet what if any "permanent" fix has been carried out...

4. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

If history plays a part then "probably" would be the answer.

Historically Apple will switch to rev 2 (3, 4, whatever) parts once the REP (repair extension program) starts. That's a big part of what delays the REP from launching when issues come to light. Apple needs to figure out the logistics of the program, the money trail (do they pick up the tab, or does the component manufacturer), the fix, legal, etc. More than likely the logic board Apple part number is the same but the manufacturing part number has been raised due to some sort of revision in the manufacturing process.

With that said... A lot of this issue, and many related issues throughout the industry, comes back to lead free solder. While being a more environmentally friendly option, it doesn't seem to hold up under heat as well as leaded solder.

5. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I fitted my own replacement board (I'm a certified tech) and it's in extremely good shape. Looks like it may have been tested in a machine, but otherwise looks brand-new. The board in mine is fairly unusual, however, it being a 2.3GHz 'Mid 2011' revision (the revision for OS X 10.7).

That said, some of the boards for these repairs that I've seen at my place of work have looked very old and worn. Simply put, results may vary a lot. :confused: