Has anyone been upgraded to tethering plan by AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bengtc, Apr 14, 2011.

1. bengtc macrumors regular

Has anyone been upgraded after they received the letter or text from AT&T about tethering?

2. Itxdjx macrumors member

I have! It's a little confusing I thought it worked as 4GB total for you to use! BUT it actual is you get 2gb for your monthly 3G use and another 2gb of data only available when the tethering, so if you go over 2gb, you can't use the 2gb for yourself you'll get charged for another 1gb for how much ever the overages are.

I just upgraded this past month and used it on vacation. I was tethering my two wifi only iPads 1&2 and I stayed within the limit. I do admit I was being stingy with my uses cause 2gb goes fast especially with video! But the speeds where good I used it in the car and only had coverage drop once for about 1 min.

I thought the theathering would kill the iPhones bat but it didn't drain as much as I thought, granted I never used it for more than and hour a time.

If you have a wifi only iPad or any other device the u like using on the go and need internet go for it, it's pretty much 2 plans fused into one payment!

3. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Ehhh... you sure about that? Pretty sure it's just 4GB total. Also, mine currently shows 291.25 of 4096 MB. It's a cumulative total. It'd be too confusing otherwise.

4. Itxdjx macrumors member

Yeah believe me I thought it worked that way too but two AT&T employees told me that. I called and had it confirmed. I think it's a dumb way to do it but I was sure the AT&T guy is wrong cause it's sounds rather ridiculous. He also told me some other mumbo jumbo, so I could be wrong!

5. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

I think you missed the point of the question, the original poster, was asking has anyone been switched from their unlimited plan to a tiered data plan after receiving the letter or text from AT&T about unauthorized tethering.

Sounds like you voluntary switch yourself? The OP is looking for folks switch against there will...............

6. El3ctronics, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011

El3ctronics macrumors 65816

This is false. I'm on the tethering plan too and the AT&T employees you spoke with are wrong. It's 4GB "use it how you like."

EDIT: Also, if you go over 4GB total, they only charge you $10 for each additional 1GB you need and it adds automatically once you exceed. It's a very fair deal in my opinion.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...ncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB110272&isSrch=Yes

Also just as some backup to my previous statement:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=18930&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=31502&mapcode=wireless

7. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Most AT&T employees (in-store and over the phone) have no clue about what they are talking about!

8. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

LOL did he even bother to read the OPs question. Fail

But, I would like to know too, still can't figure out it they're bluffing or not.

9. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

My boss was switched, yes. He didn't mind, it saved him a call.

10. SharepointGuy macrumors member

SharepointGuy

Did your boss call AT&T to explain the situation and say he was not tethering, and then was switched or did he not call at all?

11. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

He didn't call. He just let them switch him. He was planning to switch anyway.

12. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

duck tails.

warning. 147 GBs this month.

500GB for the year so far

13. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

why?

14. Itxdjx, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011

Itxdjx macrumors member

ah i didnt see that part.

yeah those ATT people never know. i had to talk to about 8 people before i could get the damn plan one told me i was not able to add the plan over the phone...

15. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

because of my current location I don't have any better internet source that can beat 2 mbps down.

next month I go to minot AFB and hopefully they have internet available.

16. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Yes I can confirm, it is a cumulative total. Had it last month and almost used all 4 gigs. However maybe 1 GB of that was actually used for tethering.

17. bengtc thread starter macrumors regular

The thread was meant for people who have received the text/email/letter from AT&T saying if they continue to tether they will be enrolled in the plan. I was wondering if anyone has actually been switched over?

18. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I addressed your question. :)

19. err404 macrumors 68020

Looking at the wording of the notification, I would be surprised if many/any people have been upgraded automatically yet.
    The notification allows you to finish the current billing cycle and the change would be made to the next. It should take at least a month to go from receiving notification to receiving an adjusted bill.

20. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Has anyone been automatically upgraded after they received the letter or text from AT&T about tethering? IF so tell your story?