Has anyone "borrowed" books from their library using Overdrive?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Izzybeff, May 26, 2010.

1. Izzybeff macrumors member

My library offers it and I downloaded a book this morning to read on my iPad, but I can't find the darn thing!

Any advice would be appreciated.

My library gives lots of instructions on how to download, it shows my iPad as the device, tells me that in Itunes I have to "manually" manage my stuff, but doesn't tell me anything after that.

2. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

I would be interested in finding out if this is possible too. My library also has the Overdrive system and it would be great to be able to borrow books. Maybe a company will come out and be like a netflix but for digital books. Pay a small fee each month and be able to read anything from their catalogue. Of course the library system is free so that is more ideal.

3. DrIgg macrumors member

I think that it will be only a matter of time for an iPad-compatible format to be widely adopted. Any device that sells 200,000 units a week is bound to grab some attention.

My library system offers Overdrive audio books, however many of them are in the non-iPad compatible WMA format. They also offer Adobe reader and PDF books, but these can only be view on the Barnes and Noble Nook and Flash compatible devices. I emailed the eResources admin and asked if there were future iPad compatibility plans, but have not heard anything yet...

4. jhanlon macrumors member

5. Type121 macrumors regular

I can confirm this works. Someone out there has created a packaged installer that sets the whole thing up for you. It's marginally easier than downloading all the python components and scripts individually. I'll be damned if I remember the name of the installer though.

6. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

Type121, do you know of any software that will remove ADE from ePub books?

7. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

My library is the same way. Plenty of WMA books, Adobe Digital Books, etc. but nothing iPad compatible... yet. Hoping it will be soon.

8. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Thanks so much for the link, I plan to give it a shot tonight or tomorrow night.

This was the last holdover for my Sony Reader PRS-505 -- it can do Adobe DRM epub books from my local library (Overdrive). If I can get them running on Stanza for iPhone/iPad, maybe I can finally retire my faithful Sony Reader entirely so it can find a new home on eBay. :)

9. Diane B macrumors regular

I corresponded with support at Overdrive, the state committee chairperson for our state digital library and was told that Overdrive plans to create an app to use with the Ipad and that they would have compatibility with new books. My understanding is the confllit between Apple and Adobe is holding it up as Overdrive as they use the Adobe format.

10. Type121 macrumors regular

The scripts mentioned above have a PDF and an ePub option.

11. DataThief macrumors member

The major problem with using this method is that you need to install that crap adobe software and get a adobe id.

12. Diane B macrumors regular

Its possible to convert to epub, etc but there is more involved with our library's books--assuming its Overdrive as it deletes the book in two weeks from your device and the only way to acquire the books is through the Overdrive software. Its frustrating to me as i'm a big library user, although I keep several books in my various ereader apps too. I'd go broke buying all the books I read LOL.

Right now you can read our state's digital books on a computer monitor (yuck) or a Sony ereader--that's it. Doesn't really do much good for Kindle, Nook, or especially Ipad folks. I don't ever expect Amazon or Barnes and Noble to make it possible to read library books on their devices but there's no reason its not possible on an Ipad with apps like Stanza available. It will take a change with Overdrive since they seem to handle most all digital books for libraries.

I'm sort of hoping some smart entrepreneur will figure out a book renting option like iTumes for movies. I'd be glad to pay a rental fee for several weeks.

13. ScrewTheDaisies macrumors regular

The Nook can read library books (and any other epubs that use ADE DRM, like those from kobobooks.com, borders.com, etc.).

14. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

^this.

I pay $9 a month to netflix to rent movies. I pay $15 a month to Microsoft to rent music. I would LOVE to be able to rent books as well.

I found goodereader.com which claims to be the netflix of ebooks... I didn't sign up because when I googled around on them, it seems what they are doing is illegal...I still want a company to adopt the book rental business model though.

Right now, all I download are free ebooks or ebooks that are $3 or under because I can't bring myself to pay $10 +. The good thing is it gives new authors that I never would have picked up more exposure...but I haven't read any books from my favorite authors in a long time.

I think that newer authors would be threatened by this business model...I think that high selling authors would benefit from it greatly especially if the only books available for "rental" were books that have already been out for a year. (kinda like netflix waits 2 weeks for some movies before they carry it on dvd)

15. luvreddogs macrumors newbie

luvreddogs

Audio books and music

I have tried to download books on ipod and ITunes removes my music I have downloaded when the book is downloaded. I want my music on my player also.
    Any ideas how to stop from having music removed?

Pam