Has Anyone Bought A UBMP From An E-Bay Power-seller?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bazzy, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

I would like to ask the USA folks here if any have ever bought a MBP (especially lately) from a USA based Power-seller and what their experience was?

The Power-Sellers usually have thousands of transactions with a high feedback satisfaction, ebay special trusted status, have a ebay store, paypal protection etc. It all looks very upfront and honest. I know there are always issues with this approach and would welcome some views - good and bad!

Bazzy!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I looked at going that way when I pickup up my pre-SD slot MBP. From the prices, it looks like they pick up a bunch of computers at the student discount and resell them, making lots of small-profit sales. I elected to go the refurb route for a variety of reasons (there are lots of posts here listing those), but mostly that I have the sales slip in my hot little hand if I ever need to take them up on the one-year warranty.

3. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Thanks for the input - Does one not get a receipt from these sellers? They do state clearly that there is a one year warranty with Apple and that the package is sealed box and brand new? Will Apple not honor any warranty if purchased on e-bay then, even if one has a paypal receipt? I would really like to know as the warranty is very important.

Bazzy!

4. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

If they're not a certified reseller, I'd imagine not. The seller probably bought it as if they were a regular customer, and thus, the warranty started once they bought it.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Yeah, the transferability of the one-year is a gray area. You can buy the extended apple care, which turns the one-year into a total of three years and - in the front end - apple doesn't care where it came from and - on the back end - they freely transfer it. Apple doesn't honor the ebay reciept like a reseller's reciept for warranty purposes. If you go to apple's website, there are very few resellers authorized to sell online and - regardless of what the ebay seller claims - none are authorized to sell in that venue.

Some ethically-challenged individuals have claimed to claim when needing repairs that the item they purchased on ebay was a gift - thus no reciept - but they had to go with the date the ebay seller purchased it as their original purchase date.

6. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Wow, Thank you for that - really helpful! On computers, I always get Applecare (even though it is expensive) so at least one does not have to worry if an ebay purchase is not covered for any reason by a the standard one year warranty!

Bazzy!