Has anyone bought an iPhone 3GS online and exchanged it in store yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shyfe, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Shyfe macrumors member

can you tell about your experience/share some advice?

2. kenkamm macrumors regular

I did. Mine had a buzzing earpiece speaker. They told me I would need to make an appointment, because they may be able to "fix" it, but I'm not sure how much the guy I was talking to really knew about it, he was just defaulting to the "make an appointment" stance. I was nice to him, explained that I don't think it would be reasonable to attempt a fix on a one day old iPhone. He went and asked a "Genius" (I always want to put that in quotes...) and the "Genius" told him they would swap the phone. I then suggested that he could do the swap for me, and that no appointment was really necessary. He agreed, and five minutes later I walked out with a new 3Gs.

3. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

I went in tonight since the 3G S I received had scratches on it right out of the box (one on the right side of the bezel and three across the back plastic) and the bezel is REALLY rough where it meets the plastic. After a thorough examination by about 3 employees, they agreed to swap it. Inventory showed they had 6.

After about five minutes and a mini staff meeting around me, it seemed no one could find those 6 phones anywhere in the store and that I'd just have to wait. I got a repair ticket, but I'm just hoping they still swap it when they get them in since it'll probably gather more scratches if I wait several days.

I don't mind scratches as long as I make them.

4. ceehjayem macrumors regular

I did regarding a bezel that wasn't flush. They exchanged it out no problem. I'm setting my new up right now.

5. Shyfe thread starter macrumors member

Just to confirm, you guys all ordered online and had it shipped to you right?

6. sweathog macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem with not only a buzzing speaker, but also the microphone didn't work. When I took it in the day after launch, the genius bar said that usually replacements come from a separate inventory from the retail inventory and that since it was new they didn't have any yet. After checking with someone that was a little more senior they checked in the back and Fedex had just delivered them. Gotta say, I was not looking forward to going through the exchange based on past experience, but they were nothing but friendly and professional and got me on my way fast.

lee

7. sweathog macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem with not only a buzzing speaker, but also the microphone didn't work. When I took it in the day after launch, the genius bar said that usually replacements come from a separate inventory from the retail inventory and that since it was new they didn't have any yet. After checking with someone that was a little more senior they checked in the back and Fedex had just delivered them. Gotta say, I was not looking forward to going through the exchange based on past experience, but they were nothing but friendly and professional and got me on my way fast.

edit: probably obvious, but yeah, I got it delivered.

lee

8. graygmc macrumors newbie

Orderd online from ATT. Exchanged it on sunday to apple for a bad touch screen. The only problem I had was the first guy that helped me thought my phone was jailbreaked because of the battery %. I was like dude it is new on the 3gs. I dont know how he didnt know about this feature.

9. Shyfe thread starter macrumors member

so has anyone had luck not getting a white box one?