Has anyone bought from MacMall?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by majapapaya, Jul 23, 2007.

1. majapapaya macrumors member

majapapaya

I posted an earlier thread about places to buy, but I haven't heard a peep about MacMall? ANYONE?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Search the forums - there have been many unhappy customers that I recall reading about. The unhappiness involves returns - apparently, they don't allow them on mac hardware.

4. majapapaya thread starter macrumors member

majapapaya

Thanks, I've read reviews on cnet and pricegrabber but they were kinda split.
    I actually had called Macmall about some of the issues I read, the rebate on shipping was a problem, besides other rebate problems. The guy I spoke to said he would give me free shipping on the spot and help me with any problems I had. Blah Blah Blah still don't trust. But they offer good deals.
    Hoping to find someone on the forums that actually purchased from them.
    And thanks for the link to a cool site!

5. majapapaya thread starter macrumors member

majapapaya

Another good question?

That's another question. If there was a problem with my Mac wouldn't it be under the 1 year Apple warranty?
    Or are we talking about damaged goods for returns?
    Thanks;)

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

They are located only a few miles from my house. I've been a walk in customer
    only. It is a huge building, hundreds of feet on a side. The parking lot could hold 1,000
    cars but I see only 10 or 12 cars typically parked there. The building used to
    house one of the larger aerospace contractors and the lot was sized for their workforce.
    They use a tiny part of one corner as a retail store of maybe 3,000 square feet.

Unlike an Apple store they have their demos setup with lots of 3rd party accessories.
    Like say a Roland keybord and some other pro auto stuff

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've made a few purchases from MacMall, although none recently, and never had a problem with them. That's only one person's experience, and I know others are wary of them.

8. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

The horror stories I remember hearing was people who after the purchase decided they wanted to return the item for a refund and were refused. There was one story of a guy who changed his mind before the item was received and they still denied the return.

Yes, you would still have the standard Apple warranty serviced from Apple.

Again, this is not my experience, just what I have read here in the forums.

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I've bought from MacMall in the past and never had a problem. I've never had to return anything though. If you are uncomfortable buy from somebody else.

10. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Perhaps some people need to do more research on the product they are purchasing before buying it then?

11. rev316 macrumors regular

Bought an iMac from them. Ironically, it was only Mac that I ever had issues with. Probably because I was hard on a 'puter with a 32mbs worth of VRAM... but meh.

12. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Yep.

To the OP - search the forums for more information on this or any vendor.

13. majapapaya thread starter macrumors member

majapapaya

I actually have searched the forum about macmall, but I will read a few posts on the first page and may not get to the second page. What I read yesterday didn't really answer my concerns, as much as you guys already did. Gonna call customer service, a # I got off another site that is only weekdays 6am-6pm pst. I'm sure I will be calling CA instead of Bagladesh. I'll let you know what they say about the terrible reviews they have gotten. And what they can do for me.

Oh POO! It's the same number that's on the web site. I thought I was in on a secret. HA
    Gonna call anyway.

14. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

I love MacMall. Its a good place, we have bought four macs from there and they were fine.

15. MacSyn macrumors regular

Bought from Macmall twice, had an issue where they double charged my cc but got the problem resolved very quick. Other than that no problem with the products I purchased. Also received the rebates in 2 months.

16. gonyr macrumors 6502

Never had any problems, but I never had to return anything either. They tend to include a bunch of "extras" with a computer purchase (things like a laptop bag or cheap external speakers), but make you pay extra shipping to get them.

I have to say that even though I never had problems with MacMall, I'd recommend amazon.com instead.

17. majapapaya thread starter macrumors member

majapapaya

Called them and had a run around the "So called free shipping"
    Couldn't deal, I was way to nervous. So I just now bought from Amazon, got a rebate and real free shipping.
    Just didn't get the free printer.
    I'll find one I really want for a good price.
    THE WAITING GAME HAS STARTED. WISH ME LUCK.
    THANKS EVERYONE.

18. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

This seems to be a common issue. It's ironic that this thread appeared; I planned on buying a MacBook from MacMall tomorrow, but now I think I'm going to go to the local Apple Store instead. Guess I'll be getting it sooner too. :)

19. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

I've made 3 purchases from MacMall and have no problems at all. I'd buy there again in a heartbeat.