Has anyone bought from Macofalltrades?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Volker, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Volker macrumors newbie

I was looking to buy a used macbook pro from them. I wanted to know if anyone has bought from them before, and if so how was the service, and how well do they look over the macbooks before sending them out. i was also looking at getting the warranty from them, and wanted to know if anyone has used them for their warranty? i'm worry that some of the macs might have a hardware problem that might not be seen right away. is their some other used mac sale site that you would recommend to buy from?

thanks
    Volker

:apple:

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

3. Volker thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Felasco Guest

Yes, I've bought a couple of used Macs from macofalltrades, and the experience has so far been generally good. A couple of the machines we bought from them are going on 20 years old, and still chugging along no problem.

I was a little disappointed with our last purchase. The space bar on our laptop was jammed upon arrival, something that seemingly would have been found with the briefest of inspections. This has led me to question how well they inspect the machines.

When I talked to them about the space bar, they declined to take the machine back for repairs, and told me to find a local warranty shop instead. While this was a practical suggestion, it also raised the issue of when they would or wouldn't honor warranties themselves.

I fixed the problem myself by reconfiguring the keyboard to use the right command key as the space bar.

I would use them again, but will question them more closely before the next order.

5. Volker thread starter macrumors newbie

what would you question them about next time?

6. Felasco Guest

1) Do they really inspect each Mac before reselling it to us?

2) If yes, what exactly is involved in that inspection?

3) What exactly will happen if a Mac fails within the warranty period? Will I ship it back to them? Will I have it repaired locally and they reimburse me? What exactly will happen?

If they say that they really do inspect the macs carefully and that they will fix anything broken, I would then ask why that didn't happen with my last purchase. I would analyze the quality of response I get to that question.

I've bought 4 old macs from them, and all have been fine except for a jammed space bar on the most recent mac.

You might want to search out more stories of what happens in those cases when there is a significant problem within the warranty period. I really don't know, as I've only had one small problem.

Also, please keep in mind the great value that any used Mac is. You can buy 3-4 five year old macs for the cost of a one new one. Thus, I've concluded that buying used macs is actually the safest and most reliable way to buy macs, assuming you use a reputable vendor, which I believe macofalltrades to be.