Has anyone bought the 17" MBP with the 128GB solid state drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SmokinJoe, Mar 5, 2009.

1. SmokinJoe macrumors newbie

I bought the ATA @7200 (with matte screen of course) but it still hasn't been delivered from the local Mac reseller.

Now I am tempted to change to an SSD but I can find no reports at all as to how the 128GB hard drive performs, what make of SSD it is, or how it compares with the standard hard drive.

I am not too worried about space limitations as most data can now easily be stored and accessed from elsewhere; so in some ways a big drive capacity in a laptop is a waste. But I care very much about reliable performance and snappiness.

Anyone with any thoughts?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Dont buy a Mac with an SSD already inside from Apple.

Stick with the Mac you ordered and then buy an SSD separately yourself and put it in yourself, its so easy to do a monkey could do it, you'll save money and get a better SSD.

The ones Apple provide suck big time.

3. SmokinJoe thread starter macrumors newbie

But the difference in cost from Apple is $250 and I doubt if you could buy a decent SSD for that.

Also, I (we) don't know which one is in the current UMBL 17". Might be Samsun which I think is OK.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats true, but 500GB SSD drives are coming soon, so i would use the 7200 which is plenty fast for now, and silent.

5. SmokinJoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. But it doesn't really answer my question.

Also, my company will pay for the MBP, but they wouldn't then pay for another HD shortly afterwards (I'd have to pay for it myself). So I want to get this right first time up.

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I have the 128GB SSD in a 15". It is a Samsung drive although this doesn't guarantee that they use only manufacturer. There are xbench results posted in one the threads here. The 256GB is faster since it's a newer technology. But the 128GB is faster than a 320GB 7200rpm drive. It's about the same on writes, maybe a tiny bit slower, but much faster on reads especially random reads.

7. SmokinJoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, the 15" came with a Samsung, but the 17" 256GB is a Toshiba. So, the question is, which 128GB SSD is in the new 17"?

8. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

256GB SSD in Macbook

Sorry,
    I know this is the MBP thread. But I'm trying to find out any information on the 256GB SSDs. I just ordered a 256GB SSD in a Macbook. Has anyone heard if they are using 128 Samsungs and 256 Toshibas? From what I've learned, the Samsungs are alot faster than the Toshibas. But it seems that all the 128GB SSDs are Toshibas, while the 256GB SSDs are Samsungs. Are the drives in MBP the same as in MB? My order has not been shipped yet, and there is still time to change to a smaller 128GB SSD. And I'll do it if it is alot faster than the 256GB. Any advice is much appreciated, please.