Has anyone bought this 3rd party memory before?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mikelegacy, Jul 23, 2011.

1. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Is this a good deal? I have never upgraded my Apple computers, and I wanna know if this company is trouble or if this is a good deal and won't mess up my Mac. I have the new 2011 iMac.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

let me know, thanks! :D

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

OWC is generally regarded as one of the best 3rd parties to buy from. They may not be the cheapest (not that it's ever a really big difference), but they certainly are reputable.

3. mikelegacy, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Well, compared to Apple, who charges $600 for 16GB of memory, I would say $160 is a DARN good deal haha

EDIT: ALSO, if you look on their site, why is the set of 16GB ram that includes 4x4.0GB sticks only $168 and the set that is 16GB that is 2x8.0GB is like $1419? That difference seems a bit drastic.

Anyways, would I notice a significant difference if I upgraded to the 16GB 4x4.0GB sticks from only having 4GB stock memory?

4. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Update for anyone who is interested in this as well:

The guy on live chat from OWC straight up told me that the only reason the 2x8.0GB memory was so expensive is because 8gb sticks are relatively new and are in short supply. The 4x4.0gb setup will run the same as the 2x8.0gb setup, it's just that it fills all 4 of your memory slots. He also said tho that by the time id need to upgrade again, the 8.0gb sticks would be cheap as dirt anyways. Idk why anyone would go with the 2x8.0 unless they are planning on packing 32gb of memory in their computer...