has anyone bought this RAM? for my iBook...

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I..

I check Kingston.com. They usually have the correct specs on what and how a system is configured. It *should* tell you how many slots and how many are full out of the factory. Sometimes it's wrong but that's usually on Dell and Gateway stuff that changes based on the lowest bidder of the month supplier...

Ie: I had a Dell that Kingston said had 4 slots and Dell changed suppliers on that model and the system only had 2. Same max mem, just half as many slots. Frustrating...

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
USA
thanks for the heads-up - since this is apparently still a sketchy proposition, is it easy to check on my iBook G4? I'm not scared of taking things apart. Oh - the other thing, will my computer "care" if i just stick another 512 or 256 in there, or do i have to do something else to make it work?

Thanks,

Tim

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
It's the correct RAM but it is beyond foolish to buy the 256 Mb size. Always try to get the largest memory module size that will fit the socket - especially on notebooks which have limited expandability to start with.

The iBook has only one memory socket, plus either 128, 256 or 512 Mb soldered on the motherboard depending on the age of the machine.

Check your System Profiler under the Apple menu, you will probably see that you have 256 Mb built in (this will say "DIMM0" or similar in System Profiler, which does not imply that there are 2 SODIMM sockets) plus one 256 Mb module already in the only socket.