Has anyone built their own App?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by bella-l-b, Sep 1, 2016.

1. bella-l-b macrumors newbie

Need help in choosing the right app builder so that I can build my own app and publish to the app store.

2. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Hundreds of thousands of people have built their own apps. Apple provides some of the best development avenues in the industry. The Swift language is modern, clean, and relatively easy to pick up. The iOS frameworks are mature and under constant improvement. The XCode IDE is powerful and integrates the entire experience with onboard simulators and testing methods.
    I don't think I really understand what you're asking here.

3. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

Ya WHAT are you trying to build? Game? Camera App? What?

4. Dookieman macrumors 6502

Yes I have built my own app. A good app builder is Xcode.

5. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Yes and I have an app on the Store and am finishing another for publication on the store.

Apple has developed and excellent product and process for building and publishing apps on the Store through Xcode.

What you need to be able to do is build an app and test it on a device before you consider publishing it. Knowing either Swift or Objective C and then learning the API are prerequisites for all of it.

6. 1458279 Suspended

If you browse around this forum a bit, you'll see a TON of info on getting started. People come here all the time and ask these questions and there's quite a few excellent responses that'll really help.

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

8. 1458279 Suspended

I bought a 3D printer, programmed it to print a 3D printer, put it back in the box and got a refund. :D

9. firewood, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016

firewood macrumors 604

Lots of people here have built their own apps using Xcode (and Objective C or Swift). But for those who can't code, there are a few alternative tools (such as buzztouch) for building really simplistic apps.

10. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

I've built a lot of apps, from really simple ones to incredibly sophisticated ones that took many developers. All of them were built in Xcode.

If you want to make a painting, you start with a canvas, and in the iOS world, the best canvas is Xcode. There are other solutions (phone gap, xamarin, etc.) but in all honesty the best for iOS is Xcode. You always have the latest and greatest at your fingertips, even on day 1.

The other IDE's (phone gap, cordova, xamarin) always put an additional layer between you and your app. It slows things down and adds additional complexity. The benefit of compatibility for other platforms is, in my opinion, outweighed by the drawbacks.

11. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

All the apps that I have built are my own apps. I use Xcode for that.