Has anyone come across a "Chinese Version" iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsnevo, Feb 8, 2009.

1. itsnevo macrumors member

I am planning on buying a new 16gig iPhone through AT&T next week and before deciding this, I was looking for a used 3G 16gig iPhone to compare prices and came across many ads saying that they were selling a "Chinese Version" iPhone. These "Chinese Version" iPhones seemed to be less expensive and they were described as having the same features and abilities as the U.S. version. (maybe not truthfully)

Has anyone on here come across one of these "Chinese" version iPhones?

Does anyone know what exactly is different compared to the normal Apple iPhone sold through Apple stores and AT&T retailers here in the U.S.?

I figured they were just iPhone clones or knock offs and not actually made by Apple, but I'm still curious what is different if they actually are made by Apple.

Does anyone know?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They are knockoffs and NOT made y Apple. They hardly have the "same features or abilities".

3. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

have you ever messed with "chinese version" anythings?
    they are horrible knock offs.

4. itsnevo thread starter macrumors member

Well, like I said...I figured that it was a knock off, but I was just wondering if anyone has actually played with one. I heard one person say that even though it looks like the real iPhone that they are not even touchscreen, but I've never actually seen one in person to verify that fact.

5. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

I bought one while living in China, and I have to say, its amazing (IT ACTUALLY HAS COPY AND PASTE!), it contains a Windows platform iPhone style theme, the iPod is like the one on the real iPhone. The multi touch works perfectly and I had no problems till I sold it off.

The people I bought it off weren't peasants on the streets to break up the discrimination. They were real hardcore tech guys who knew what they were doing and just gotten ahold of some of the iPhone's blueprint.

6. itsnevo thread starter macrumors member

I'm surprised to see how many of these are for sale on craigslist and Ebay.

7. itsnevo thread starter macrumors member

It sounds like they also made an iPod Touch clone too. What's funny is at least in the one picture I saw it looked more like the iPhone with the built in speaker towards the top of the front panel.

8. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

PLEASE don't buy a chinese knockoff! you'll regret it!