HAs anyone confirmed processor speed and memory in iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swoods93631, Jun 9, 2010.

1. swoods93631 macrumors regular

Maybe this has been answered and I missed it but has anyone confirmed the processor speed and amount of memory this phone will have? 1 Ghz, 256 or 512MB?

2. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Not trying to flame you but does it really matter what speed it is? You don't have a choice of speed. Only choice is color and size.

3. swoods93631 thread starter macrumors regular

I realize I do not have a choice. That does not stop me from being curious about what HW they used and the specs of said hardware.

4. swoods93631 thread starter macrumors regular

5. blrossjr79 macrumors newbie

blrossjr79

iPhone 4

Im late on this topic but I figure how I look at Apple is that they wont give you too much for your money. I can see that phone NOT being 1GHz, I say this because the new MBP have a I7 chip in them and in the PC world thats a quad core but somehow Apple managed to make it a duo core.....again Apple not giving you much for your money so I figure that if its 31% faster than the 3Gs which is 600MHz I just did the Math of 600 * .31 and got 186 and added that to the 600 for a grand total of 786MHz or the MAY have rounded to 800MHz. Thats my 2 cents though

6. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

While I agree that it's probably not 1Ghz (like the iPad is) your "math" to come to that conclusion is fuzzy to say the least...

7. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Lol

8. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

9. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Fair enough, but you're not taking battery life into account, and Apple is. If you had a 2 GHz quad core processor in your phone, you'd be really happy with its performance.....for about 20 minutes....

10. joshuajburris macrumors newbie

joshuajburris

Wow, really man? I cant imagine what your life is like blindly avoiding the answers to insignificant questions..

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Here we go again...
    People want quad core on their phones.... But, what they don't realize that is a battery life will blow. So, pathetic.

12. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

How does this thread have 17,000 views and only 11 post?

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Because most of it dates from July. Check the post dates.

14. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

As far as I know, the iPhone 4 has the same processor as the iPad. It is a 1ghz processor and the phone has 512MB RAM.

These are the specs in gsmarena and the same that I have heard.

I also read that the speed in the iPhone is underclocked to 800mhz.

Having an iPhone 4 myself, I don't see the need to run it at 1ghz. I doubt it will see any difference in performance and it will eat up more battery. No point.

Probably, in future updates, the processor will have to be sped up to accommodate future software. Not necessary at the moment.

The HTC Desire Z can also be overclocked with a software update. It also came out with an 800mhz processor. I guess any phone can be overclocked with software.

The difference in performance is just like a computer. Has to do with the software is running and the graphics processor. You can have a laggy 1ghz and a very smooth fast 800mhz.

15. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Hmmm... Depending on the amount of development for overclocking iPhones, anyway. My original Droid originally came with a processor rated at 600MHz (underclocked to 550). It's currently running undervolted at 1GHz! Some people have theirs as high as 1.3GHz but there's really no point... any lag is gone. :) Also, the battery can reliably last two days.

I'm not sure what the deal is regarding frequency/voltage changes with the iPhone 4. If someone were able to overclock and undervolt it at the same time, like you can do with the Droid, it would probably help a lot performance-wise. Even if it seems really fast, I guarantee you won't be happy with its speed when iOS 5 comes out. Remember how awesome people thought the 3G and S were?

16. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i heard that it adds power when needed. it starts at 800 mhz but when more power is needed for like imovie it can boost up to 1 ghz.

17. ajarnfalang, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

ajarnfalang macrumors regular

I don't agree with that comparison.

iPhone 3G is a 400mhz phone

iPhone 4 is has a 1ghz processor, better gpu, etc etc.

iPhone 4 will cope with future updates much better than the iphone 3G.

Actually, I think iOS 4.1 is not pushing the iPhone 4 enough, I think 4.1 is holding iPhone 4 back. The iPhone 4 will probably shine more under iOS 5.

All this stuff they threw at iPhone 4 seems wasted running iOS 4.1. I think iPhone 4 is a set up for what is coming software wise.

Anyway, no point arguing about it now. It's Apple.

They had this awesome announcement on their website. They wrote to tune in and come back at midnight for the announcement of the YEAR!!!

Turns out it was just the stupid Beatles coming to iTunes.

18. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

19. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. The iPhone 4 is fast NOW, but a year or two down the road, there will be all these threads: "iPhone 4 laggy in 5.2" or something like that... the 3G was also fast when it was new on the software it came with. Mine is running 3.1.3 and it's just okay. It was a nightmare with OS 4. So the 3G and iPhone 4 seem a world apart now, just like the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 or 6 will later.

Overclocking would certainly help this if it can be done efficiently... SetCPU would be awesome to have on iOS!

20. mobiletech macrumors member

Actually people will be talking about how much faster the iphone 4 is with 5.0; because by then apple will probably drop 3G support so they will not have to worry about optimizing for the much slower phones. 6.0 will probably start to show iphone 4's age.