Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wellander

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Huntington Beach Ca
Hi,
Has anyone ever connected a mac to a radio or a stereo instead of computer speakers?
I am asking bucuase I do it. Anf I want to know many people do this.
Thanks.
I can nor edit the title.
I made a mistake.
Can Someone with proper privs please rename this to say Has anyone ever connected a mac to a stereo?
Thanks.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Sure...lots of people do it right now through an Airport Express. But even before that, I often plugged mine into my stereo. Nothing fancy, just connecting my headphone jack to a line in on my stereo.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Yyyyup. A Mac replaced the CD player a long time ago.

I don't know that I'd want my desktop machine set up on a stereo full time; when I was living in an apartment a few years ago, the guy in the unit next door used to have his Windows box hooked up that way and had a habit of throwing stuff onto the keyboard on the way out the door, so I'd hear that Windows THOOMP. THOOMP. THOOMP. THOOMP. sound through the wall for hours on end.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
On occasions I hook up my powerbook to a 5.1 receiver so I can get those jams in the living area. I'm so happy Apple finally included the opticals when they did.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
iMeowbot said:
I don't know that I'd want my desktop machine set up on a stereo full time; [...]
Not a big problem when using an AirPort Express, as it's only the music from iTunes that's send to the stereo (without 3rd party software and/or some major hacking), the system sounds "stays" on the Mac/PC... and I'm very grateful for that... both on my own and my neighbours behalf... ;) :D

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
irmongoose said:
Yup, sure do. I use one of these

to connect from the headphone jack on my iMac to the RCA inputs on my stereo system.

irmongoose

Same here. My iBook has become my main music device in the house since getting that cable. :)

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
CDs? We don't need no stinkin' CDs!

Indeed, I sold my CD player in favor of iTunes via Airport Express. I dislike radio so I just let my iTunes play 24/7.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
My girlfriends Pbook is connected to my HK receiver via an Airport Express and it works great. Before that, I used one of those mini jack to RCA receivers pictured above.

If you want to use other software to stream content to an airport express you can use Airfoil by Rogue Amoeba software.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

If you want AC-3 or DTS from a laptop you can look into this product by M-Audio.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
WildCowboy said:
Sure...lots of people do it right now through an Airport Express. But even before that, I often plugged mine into my stereo. Nothing fancy, just connecting my headphone jack to a line in on my stereo.

I tried that. The sound was funky. So I don't bother, and I get good sound out of the little speakers in my monitor--nothing too impressive, but it does the damage.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
My Mac Mini (PowerPC) has an M-Audio Transit USB thingy which uses an optical cable to connect to my Yamaha amp.

I get my DVD's in 6.1 surround sound, which is nice.

My MacBook Pro gets hooked up to the amp occasionally when I've got my guitar plugged into GarageBand. Sounds awesome :) Otherwise, the MBP's usually playing to one of two AirPort Expresses or using its internals.

One of the lovely things about the Mac is how it handles multiple output devices. The Mini has Adium and all System Sounds (new mail alerts, etc) routed through the internal speaker, so my DVD watching or iTunes playing can be cranked up on the Yamaha amp without getting deafened by the 'contact has signed on' sound!

At the same time, Skype's audio is routed to a bluetooth headset. All three sound outputs (iTunes/DVD, System sounds, Skype Chat) work totally independently. It's really cool. Certainly impresses PC users!

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
My iMac is hooked up to a Rotel amp and a pair of Mission speakers. Sounds great!

I forked out £30 for a quality cable to connect the two and it was definitely worth it.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
irmongoose said:
Yup, sure do. I use one of these

to connect from the headphone jack on my iMac to the RCA inputs on my stereo system.

irmongoose

same here for me - works a treat!

nathanbusby

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
Turks and Caicos islands
Reply to displaced. I run a MBP and would just like to know how you get to route all the sounds to different places. I have my MBP hooked up to some 2.1 speakers (nice whilst at work) but when listening in I get all the alert sounds coming through the speakers too. could you let a fellow Kent man in on the secret.

15.4" MacBook Pro 2GHZ 100GB@7200rpm 2GB RAM

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
nathanbusby, the "secret" is the AirPort Express. When you send music through that with AirTunes, it's just the music from iTunes that are send to the stereo (or whatever is connected to the Express), the system sounds (and sounds from other apps) "stays" on the computer... very handy... :)

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Yup, got my iMac hooked up with an Airport Express, works great. I can switch to the ibook when it suits me, when I´m in the kitchen for example. Gotta love it

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
nathanbusby said:
Reply to displaced. I run a MBP and would just like to know how you get to route all the sounds to different places. I have my MBP hooked up to some 2.1 speakers (nice whilst at work) but when listening in I get all the alert sounds coming through the speakers too. could you let a fellow Kent man in on the secret.

15.4" MacBook Pro 2GHZ 100GB@7200rpm 2GB RAM

Hi Nathan,

This setup doesn't work on the MacBook since both the internal speakers and the 'headphone' or Line Out socket are basically the same audio device. So, there's no way to direct a particular category of audio to one and not the other.

My Mac Mini's got built-in audio (internal speaker + line-out/headphone) and the M-Audio Transit USB audio device. Via the Sounds system preference, I have the default output set to the M-Audio, and the 'System Sounds' set to Built-in Audio. Apps like Adium can also have their audio output set to the System output (and thus the internal speaker).

As Mitthrawnuruodo noted, you can get part-way to this setup on machines with only one audio device like the MacBook Pro by using an Airport Express. Without a little trickery, this'll only work for iTunes audio, but it's still handy.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
My crappy receiver/decent speakers sound SO much better than any computer speaker system. And that's just JVC and Polk components. To anybody who has extra stereo equipment lying around, hook it up!

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I have an old sony cd/2 cassette mini-receiver to which I have a set of fairly decent Bose speakers. It was a gift -- don't ask. I hook my iBook up to it using a cassette adapter (!SOUND QUALITY!) because the sound input on my DVD player is broken. I just use it for watching (legally) downloaded video. It's a pretty trashy setup, but it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.