Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Huh? You can't see for yourselves that Apple and Samsung are different? Then it's no wonder you failed to grasp the technology landscape. Talking to you would waste my time. You don't know about Apple. You don't even know about Samsung. All you know is one company making a watch at this year and another making a watch at that year.. so adios. Like I said from the beginning, feel free to believe what you want to believe but don't think for a sec that with this kind of knowledge, your belief warrant beginning the conversation with "I hate to tell you but.."
You don't have anything to tell anyone yet.

I don't care about the topic. I came here because of your "I hate to tell you.." rambling.

Alright fine see you later. If I remember correctly I was not even quoting you in my first post, so I am not sure how my "I hate to tell you" comments brought you here. If you want to continue defend Apple in every way possible please go for it.

Yes Samsung and Apple are different. There is no question about that. You claimed that Apple puts more time and effort into their products then Samsung. You are basing that off your opinions of their products. There are no facts to back those claims up. Maybe Apple does spend more time on each product they make, but it's not proof that they do because matrix on Macrumors likes the way Apple products are built. It's all just your opinion of Apple and Samsung. I don't like Samsung that much either, but I am not going to come on here and say they don't spend as much time on R&D for each of there products. I honestly I have no idea. It seems they are doing something right because they sell them pretty well.

It seems to me that the Gear S is a very nice watch. Just because they did not decide to put some gold on it, and sell it for $10,000 does not mean it's a good product that took some time to make. Do you recall all the complains people have had over the years about Apple products? Bend gate, antenna gate, and the heat problem iPad 3s had. Just to name a few. Again it's all just your subjective opinion.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I thought I'd like a smart watch, but realized I shouldn't have bought one since I never wear watches anyways. Maybe if I bought the Moto360 instead of the Gear Live.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
False. Samsung and LG didn't have smart watch on sale on 2010, or even 2011. Not even close.

I didn't say smart watch, I said wearables. And yes they did.

Before apple announced their intention.

Who's copying who?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I don't think Joe public are that aware of smart watches and they are not in wide spread use right now. If Smart watches take off then I think that the Apple watch will play a large role in that. However as I said Apple are late to the game. pebble, samsung and Android wear have been at it for years.

It's hard for me to say as I follow tech sites! But the Pebble did seem to get a lot of coverage in newspapers and non tech magazines etc.
Although Apple will be advertising the watch on telly I guess? And that still seems to be the biggest way to make the public aware so I guess they will do so in this manner?

I still think that Apple's pricing will get in the way though, to begin with anyway.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Who's copying who?

Well no one is copying anyone, Smart watches have been around for a while now, even Pebble made a watch to connect to a Blackberry called the inPulse, and Fossil made PDA smart watches back in 2002 / 2003:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil_Wrist_PDA

So NO ONE currently making smart watches came up with the idea. It's just the manufacturers have decided their time has come, if you pardon the pun :D But I am not so convinced the public is ready for them yet?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Here is an interesting bit of info from 1984:

Imagine if Cupertino had tried to create an Apple Watch back at the time of the original Macintosh. In fact, that’s not all that far from the truth. Apple didn’t exactly make it themselves, but the Seiko RC-1000 Wrist Terminal could interface with a number of popular computers at the time, including the Apple II, II+ and IIe.
It arrived in 1984, and featured scheduling, memos, world times and a four-function calculator app — all with just 8KB of ROM and 2KB of RAM. Even better, its multicolored successor, the RC-4500, was known as the “Wrist Mac.”

Attachments

• wrist mac.jpg
    wrist mac.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 350x440xseiko-rc4500-wristmac.jpg.pagespeed.ic.NGIl6AmPYV.jpg
    350x440xseiko-rc4500-wristmac.jpg.pagespeed.ic.NGIl6AmPYV.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 70

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
So it means you are a TROLL.

Defines troll. Can't I just disagree with what he said? Do I need to please you to be considered otherwise?

----------

Who's copying who?

Why do you waste my time when we even talked about different things? Is winning the discussion matters that much to your life?

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Waste your time? Really?

I come and read this site specifically to waste time.

Nothing I posted was untrue.

I don't have a shelve with trophies of Internet forum discussion truth awards.

If you want to not have your time wasted try reading what people write, use Google, fact find and don't take it personally. It's not a big deal and if it is a big deal you can always just not read or post or if you really feel your time is being wasted, put me on the ignore list.

The simple fact is LG, Samsung and others had wearables well before Apple announced their idea.

Yayyyyy, I win. See you at the award ceremony.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Here is an interesting bit of info from 1984:
Cult Of Mac said:
Imagine if Cupertino had tried to create an Apple Watch back at the time of the original Macintosh. In fact, that’s not all that far from the truth. Apple didn’t exactly make it themselves, but the Seiko RC-1000 Wrist Terminal could interface with a number of popular computers at the time, including the Apple II, II+ and IIe.

"Apple didn't exactly make it themselves" ???

Understatement of the year by Cult of Mac. Seiko made it.

So it's quite far from the truth to even "imagine" that Apple made it. :rolleyes:

Cult Of Mac said:
It arrived in 1984, and featured scheduling, memos, world times and a four-function calculator app — all with just 8KB of ROM and 2KB of RAM. Even better, its multicolored successor, the RC-4500, was known as the “Wrist Mac.”

It was called that because it was a special version that spoke AppleTalk instead of RS232, so Mac owners could transfer data to it.

Thanks for the neat history!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.