Has anyone converted a sitting desk to a standing desk?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chrono1081, Dec 9, 2011.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I'm looking at converting my desk to a standing desk because of back issues. I am at the computer a lot and I know this would help. (I tested by using my Macbook Air on a shelf for a long time).

Standing desks by themselves are insanely priced ($1000+ for a desk that couldn't even hold my monitors!) so I was going to convert this desk (well, a similar one, mine has an extra attachment):

[​IMG]

To a standing desk by putting something under each leg. My question is has anyone done something similar? If so what did you use to put under the legs?

These desks are insanely heavy by themselves let alone with computer equipment on top and I was wondering if anyone knew of something strong enough I could put under each leg.

2. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

I've seen it done with cement blocks.

I'm talking about the 440mm x 100mm x 215mm solid blocks used to build houses here in the UK. Stacked flat they give an excellent, solid base.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Why not think about cutting each leg at the mid-point, and buying 3 sections of ABS ridged pipe (proper diameter, to your preferred length) and fit the half-legs into each end.

I'm reasonably sure that they would be vertically strong enough to hold the weight.

If not, you could always go to steel pipe, but it would cost more.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sounds like the very helpful elderly gentleman has some experience with this issue. :D:p

Clever fix! :)

5. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks guys for the suggestions so far :)

I'll have to take a look for those. The hight would be "adjustable" so to speak if I went that route.

I'm not very good with home improvement type stuff :eek: That sounds like it would be the nicest looking option but I don't know if I'm crafty enough to pull it off. (Maybe my Dad will help when him and my Mom get back from vacation.)

I'd probably have to go with steel pipes because the desk is deceptively heavy (and MUCH larger than the picture eludes). Not to mention two 27 inch ACDs, several external hard drive arrays, an all in one printer, and a midi keyboard all share it :p

6. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Lmao!

It will suck standing while working in Maya, or ZBrush, or programming, or any number of things I do but my back has gotten horrible from sitting all day and it feels better standing.

I'll get a stool or something to sit on every now and then ;)

7. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

A lot of people I know prefer working standing up all day, at standing desks.

I would recommend a real standing desk because of the ergonomics, especially if you're not good with home improvements. 1000 isn't so much for something you'd use everyday (at the office.)

8. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Standing desk

Hey Chrono, just go and nick a lectern from a little used church.

Other wise those glass bricks used for interior room dividing could look good.

KGB:D

9. callmemike20, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2011
  10. yauzers619 macrumors member

I have a standing configuration at my graphic design/photography job and have been happily standing for a year now.

To occupy my feet and ward off fatigue I use a skateboard deck sans trucks and wheels. I invert the board and bounce and to change it up I rock back on forth on the edges.

Be careful of what surface the board will be on, I don't recommend hardwood floors you'll wear the wood. carpet is fine.

good luck

11. wirawee macrumors member

You might look into an Ergotron. It costs ~$350 and I love mine. It works with the Cinema Display if you get the VESA mount (which you can order online at the apple store).

Nice thing about the Ergotron is that it is a much cheaper alternative to a standing desk and works really well.

12. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Well I did it. I got a Geek Desk and I LOVE IT!!!!

Seriously I haven't even sat yet.

It shipped and I wasn't notified until UPS freight was ready to deliver so I didn't get to get an anti-fatigue mat so my feet hurt a little but nothing major. I have a mat on the way.

My back feels a MILLION times better. Seriously its amazing. The desk was worth the price and I want to get a second one for my office at work (although not sure how that will work since we have cubicles).

And although I'm sure the effect is temporary I do have to say I have a much firmer @$$ after standing all day :p

13. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Pics or it didn't happen! :D

14. Daysight macrumors regular

Electric desk is the way to go for me so I can sit or stand, so thanks for this great tip. Alternatives too expensive for home office.

15. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

16. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Lmao! I'm sure that would somehow violate Macrumors' code of conduct :p

The one I got is electric. It was about $1000 including shipping. I just have to be careful raising or lowering it until my mini display port extension cables arrive. (I can currently stand just fine, but if I raise the desk just a hair above where its at it'll rip the cables out.)

Oh no I assure you for those of us with bad backs they're the best thing ever. Not to mention I don't get as tired while standing and I get more done.

I also plan on getting a stationary bike so I can pedal while watching Digital Tutors videos :D

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So, once again you'll be sitting?? :p

18. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Lol kind of but only for as long as I can pedal (which I'll crank up the resistance so its not too long!)

I gotta say though I LOVE this desk! So far it seems to have been worth every penny.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

I converted an Ikea desk into a standing desk for my wife. It's one of those desks with the expandable legs, so it was really easy.

She loves it, and it's saved her back from the soreness she feels from sitting all day.

She still has a regular desk as well, but she uses the standing desk much more often.