Has anyone Customized Front Row?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i.shaun, Jun 8, 2009.

1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I found Front Row in HDD/System/Library/Core Services/

Now my attempt at messing with Finder's icon ended in Finder crashing. So In short -- I am afraid to even attempt going into the app's folder's (by showing package contents).

I'm just wondering if anyone here has actually done such a thing successfully, and what steps they did that didn't end in catastrophe.

Of course curiosity may eventually get the best of me. . but if it ever does I think I'll take the time to install a basic OS X on an external, target disc it (boot from it), and edit that system. If all goes well I would have a custom front row with new icons, and the "Photos" section pointing to a folder or something other than iPhoto

If all goes bad I format the external and never ever try it again lol

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Replacing the images should be fine, so long as the permissions remain the same. You can't change the connection with iPhoto, though. By way of a replacement, you might want to take a look at Plex.

3. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I'll check out Plex, it seems to be a much more refined version of Front Row.

I'm not sure why Apple made it so static, of course I can still play Videos from any location other than the "Movies" folder if I place a shortcut(Alias) in the "movies" folder. I never use iPhoto, I tried it out and just never got used to it's style of organization.

DVD Player is alright, iTunes works but would be better with visualizations (which it seems Plex has). I think Apple's Front Row would get much more attention if you were able to (safely) edit the background, sounds, Icons, and add plugins for more functionality.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Contrary to an inexplicably popular belief, customization has never been Apple's priority. You either use iLife or half of the bells and whistles on the system become useless.

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Very true.

As a side note, I just heard about Plex from here, and am downloading it now. Looks pretty ****ing sweet.

6. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Sad thing really, they would get much better use if people could edit them to their liking.

It really should have a customizable interface, and it's own standalone slideshow app that can be pointed to iphoto, or any folder.

Oh well, I'll have to try Plex, it seems to have a much smoother interface and so many options that I can't even use all of them (Especially the Hulu video thing, I tried visiting them and they said "No Canadian" lol)