Has anyone dealt with isellimac on ebay

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jetjaguar, Sep 14, 2013.

  1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

    jetjaguar

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Location:
    somewhere
    #1
    They are a top rated seller and are selling 2010 2.4 8 core for 1899 .. mint condition .. but only a 30 day warranty which kind of scares me.
     
  2. flowrider macrumors 601

    flowrider

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2012
    #2
    Why not buy a brand new one from here:

    http://www.expercom.com/product_detail.html?p=703416

    Only $200. more and you get Apple's one year warranty and if you want, Applecare is only $100. more. I have one that I have upgraded, though I did not buy Applecare.

    Lou
     
  3. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

    RoastingPig

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2012
    Location:
    SoCal
    #3
  4. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

    jetjaguar

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Location:
    somewhere
    #4
  5. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

    blesscheese

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2010
    Location:
    Central CA
    #5
    I bought my Mac Pro from isellimac about a month ago. I got a good price (it was a 2009 model), and it arrived well-packed in an original Mac Pro box. The Mac Pro was accurately described, etc.

    I had no complaints. I went with them because of their high rating, and the fact that if they can sell iMacs and ship them without problems, then they ought to be able to sell and ship a Mac Pro w/o difficulty.

    That being said, if you can get a *new* Mac Pro for only a couple hundred more, I would go with that, if you have that few hundred more. Otherwise, I would go with isellimac.
     
  6. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

    jetjaguar

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Location:
    somewhere
    #6
    only reason going for isellimac or usedmacs.us .. is because with that extra 3-400 dollars .. i could use that on new cpus .. ssd .. etc but no warranty and kinda scares me even though i am going to void it. I mean the machine could die after 30 days and then im screwed
     
  7. flowrider macrumors 601

    flowrider

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2012
    #7
  8. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

    crjackson2134

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2013
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    #8
    I couldn't agree more. It's an investment worth protecting.
     
  9. zephonic macrumors 65816

    zephonic

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Location:
    greater L.A. area
    #9
    I bought my Nehalem from usedmacs.us in 2011

    The machine is good, except for a rattling dvd-drive. To be fair, David did offer to replace it, but I couldn't be bothered to drive back out there (I'm in the southbay).

    Remember that his prices are excluding CA sales tax. I bought mine for $1650 back then, with tax it came to $1800+
     
  10. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

    jetjaguar

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Location:
    somewhere
    #10
    Thanks guys for the advice. Think I am going to hold off until I hear the pricing on the new mac pros first and then make my decision before rushing in.
     
  11. Macsonic macrumors 65816

    Macsonic

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2009
    Location:
    Earth
    #12
    Hi Jetjaguar Your choice of Mac Pro and upgrade options may depend on what task will you be using the machine for or you will use this for your work. If you prefer full warranty, you will spend a little more. I think Flowrider's suggestion is an excellent option since it's brand new and option to get AppleCare. With upgrading the CPUs , just be prepared that it will void your warranty. You'll just have to choose one or the other. Or wait for the warranty to expire then upgrade the CPU.

    I decided to stick to the current tower Mac Pro more of a business decision. With the coming 2013 new Mac Pro, it's a new Ist gen hardware architecture with a new OS Maverick and there may be bugs regardless of what price it will carry. With the deadlines and rush work, I can't afford delays or dealing with glitches. I will also need to have a new round of expenses on external devices, monitors for the new Mac Pro and untested. I am sure the new Mac Pro will definitely be faster though we just can't based everything on speed alone.
     
  12. flowrider macrumors 601

    flowrider

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2012
    #13
    Changing CPUs may or may not void the warranty. Depending on what the warranty issues is. The current generation Mac Pro is an exceptionally easy machine to modify, per Apple design. If a component of subsystem fails that is not affected by a retrofitted CPU, or Video Card, or PCIe Card or ???. The owner can make the case to Apple that the retrofitted part did in no way contribute to a failure.

    Lou
     
  13. Macsonic macrumors 65816

    Macsonic

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2009
    Location:
    Earth
    #14
    Hi Lou. Hope you're having a good weekend. I inquired with an Apple Service Center as my Mac Pro still had AppleCare and if I upgraded the CPUs if it would void the warranty. The guy told me I may run the risk of losing the warranty if I did that. He said Apple changed its warranty policies by requiring a MRI EACH time the user claims for warranty. That the MRI performed that time is only good for 2 weeks and expires after that. And the next time the user will claim warranty, a new MRI is required. I thought the guy was kidding but he wasn't joking. I reacted and told him if he meant to say I have to carry that heavy machine each time for warranty. He said the MRI will detect if one of the components is not the original default hardware. I said ram, hard drive and videocard upgrades are allowed. He said with CPU "you run the risk" and he cannot guarantee warranty won't be voided. He added before , MRI was a one time process but now it's not.

    Not sure if my memory is correct, in one of your post, you mentioned you purchased a brand new 2010 2.4ghz 8 core and upgraded the CPU and the Mac Pro may not have warranty anymore. I was assuming that the warranty may be voided.
     
  14. jetjaguar, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

    jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

    jetjaguar

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Location:
    somewhere
    #15
    thanks for the links .. seems in the past day two of the places have dropped the price and increased the warranty

    ----------

    Hey

    Well I really just want everything internal. I don't want to deal with external enclosures for more storage. If i got a mac pro I would fill the 4 slots with hdds and get an ssd and be done .. possibly upgrade the video card to some nvidia brand. As well as upgrade the cpus. Now if I want 8 core .. then the cpus would cost around 390 shipped for the pair. If I went quad core to hexcore then the cost would be 580 for the cpu. I want something that is going to last a year or two. The problem is I dont have a monitor. So I would also have to buy a monitor. Was looking at used 30in acd which for a good condition one was going for ~500. So if I sold my imac I would be able to pick up a mac pro tower (depending on what I got) and a used monitor and some upgrades. I am just not sure when the new mac pro gets released im going to have buyers remorse...not being able to run the latest apple displays due to no thunderbolt.

    I am not a huge power user. I do edit video...not 4k..but raw from dslrs. My current iMac is very nice and fast but I like being able to play in a tower. Add hard drives and work on stuff. I am so confused.

    I had a 2.26 oct core and a brand new 30acd back in 2010 that I sold and I have regretted it to this day. By far my favorite setup and that monitor :eek:

    edit

    just thinking about it .. if I went with a 8 core system .. I spend more up front but less upgrading cpus and if i went quad core to hexcore .. i would spend less upfront and more for the cpu upgrade
     

Share This Page