Has anyone developed screen marks on their MacBook Pro just from shutting it?

Donnation

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
On my 2013 model it developed some screen nicks just from keeping the clamshell shut and carrying it around. From that point forward I used a RadTech Screen Saver on my 2015, and also have one now for my 2016 model.

I'm noticing some keyboard indentations from the cloth on the 2016 model though, so it looks like the cloth isn't as thin as it needs to be. I'd like to not put any unnecessary pressure on the screen but also don't want it nicked up like has happened in the past.

Those of you who've used yours for a while, has your 16" developed any scratches on it from carrying it around shut?

arche3

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2020
My 2016 15inch had screen marks from keyboard.

My new 16 so far does not. I put a microfiber cloth over keyboard when I close it now. I have not moved it really though.

hallux

macrumors 68030
Apr 25, 2012
My new 16 so far does not. I put a microfiber cloth over keyboard when I close it now.
I tried using the RadTech keyboard cover cloth that I had from my 2012 but it doesn't allow the screen to fully close on the 16".

That said - I do get faint marks that are easily removed with a light buff of a microfiber like those used for drying a car or buffing the wax off a car. I tried using lens cleaning cloths but they didn't work well for this.

Jar Jar Abrams

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2018
Every single MacBook will have marks scratches from the trackpad on the screen, I use a microfiber cloth on every new one I buy since 2011

autostadt2000

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2020
It's good practice to clean the screen periodically too to help prevent scratches. I always blow some air on it to remove any dust particles first that may scratch and then use Whoosh (same stuff Apple uses).

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"On my 2013 model it developed some screen nicks just from keeping the clamshell shut and carrying it around."

What do you carry it around in?
A backpack?
If so, HOW MUCH OTHER STUFF is packed into the backpack?
Are things pushing against the MPB while it's in there?
You don't want that...

Reactions: robvas

Donnation

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
OP wrote:
"On my 2013 model it developed some screen nicks just from keeping the clamshell shut and carrying it around."

What do you carry it around in?
A backpack?
If so, HOW MUCH OTHER STUFF is packed into the backpack?
Are things pushing against the MPB while it's in there?
You don't want that...
Sometimes it was in a briefcase, other times it was just being carried. I don't put anything in the same pocket in my briefcase as I do my MacBook so there shouldn't have been much pressure on it. When I carry it I carry it like a book underneath my arm. I haven't developed any marks on the screen yet but have removed the radtech cloth as I feel like it needs to b thinner as I can see the impressions of the keys from the cloth creating pressure due to it being a little too thick.

pshufd

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I've had dust marks from the keys but just wiped it off. One of mine has a knick. I left my wedding ring on the left palmrest and tried to close it and then realized something was in the way. Not really a problem though as I use external monitors most of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.