Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jman995x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Hello,

I'm thinking about getting an iPad, but 64GB is WAY too small for the amount of videos I want to put on it (I'm a student with just that amount in science and math videos alone).

I recently swapped out my MBP HDD (160GB) for a 500GB HDD and the cases were the same form factor. I'm assuming that the same would probably be true for the iPad(?). If I could get confirmation from somebody that they had successfully installed a larger HDD in their iPad, that might make me more willing to buy one.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,

J.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
As has been said, the iPad doesn't have a HDD. I would advise you to spend a bit more time researching what the iPad actually is before you buy one as I think it may not meet your needs.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
Hello,

I'm thinking about getting an iPad, but 64GB is WAY too small for the amount of videos I want to put on it (I'm a student with just that amount in science and math videos alone).

Any feedback would be helpful.

Try running one of those videos through 'Handbrake' with the iPad profile selected, and see if it gets compressed at all. Now you can work out how many hundreds of hours worth of video you can fit on a 64GB iPad. Are you SURE you really NEED more than that? The general idea is you keep your entire library on your computer, and sync them over when you need them. It might work out OK.

Your best bet might be to speak to other students who have iPads and see what they think of them and how they use them. A 128GB MacBook Air might also suit you better? The MBA is an incredible machine.

Allegrotechie

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
Mba

The memory on the iPad is Flash memory. Placed right on the motherboard. So no. My recommendation is to get a 11 inch Macbook Air. With a 128 GB SSD and 2GB of RAM. Getting MBA was the best decition I've ever made with :apple:. It's fast light powerful and sexy. GET IT

SonicRift

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Will you have an Internet connection? Are you thinking about a 3G iPad? I use the $3 AirVideo app to live stream video from my home computer to my iPhone and iPad.

Will you really always need to lug around math and science videos?

SA22C

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Top Gear Test Track.
Will you have an Internet connection? Are you thinking about a 3G iPad? I use the $3 AirVideo app to live stream video from my home computer to my iPhone and iPad.

Will you really always need to lug around math and science videos?

AirVideo is awesome! It does a fantastic job, even remote streaming over 3G works great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.