Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hari-bhari

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Tried to pop in and old Leopard install DVD and it just hung on the gray screen at boot. Has anyone been able to successfully downgrade? I've seen posts saying its not possible due to the laptop being newer than the OS, and other posts stating people have downgraded to 10.5.7. If this does, in fact, work, where can I get this version of the OS?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
the closest possibility you have of this working would be to boot the the MBP in target disk mode and connect to an older "Leopard-era" mac (or, you may have to remove the drive completely and physically install it on that older mac), and then install Leopard on that drive. Then, boot the drive on the i7, pray that you get al the way to the desktop, and run Software Update to see what happens.

I have my doubts it will work at all though.

Just curious: why would you do this?

hari-bhari

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
i hate the expose and preview apps in snow leopard. this was much discussed (especially expose) when SL was launched, but has since been forgotten.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
i hate the expose and preview apps in snow leopard. this was much discussed (especially expose) when SL was launched, but has since been forgotten.

Have you installed the most recent updates? Since 10.6.3 expose has been a lot nicer to use.

hari-bhari

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
what? as far as i can tell there have been no changes in how expose displays your items. it still shows minimized items at the bottom, and still makes everything the same size (stickies, safari windows, etc). the old one used to scale items according to their original size and did not show minimized items.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I see. As you didn't explain what you didn't like I made assumptions that it was because of the choppy usage.

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah you're not gonna be able to get around it, suggest getting used to it or returning it. Although your reasons are pretty negligible..

Demthios

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
Any word on if this is possible? My college is trying to downgrade there new MBP they are selling us this fall to Leopard but was just wondering if this has been done yet.

Ramphex

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
USA/PA
Suck it up and learn how to live with it, best advise I can give you man. Write a complain/suggestion to Apple, maybe they'll do something about it in the next release.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Has anyone downgraded new i5 MBP to Leopard

Logic and common sense says you might well run into driver problems.

Don't understand why you want to take one step forward with a new unit and then taking 1 or 2 steps back with the OS over Exposé. Most bizarre!:confused:

Demthios

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
I don't plan on leaving it at Leopard and yes at times they can be very retarded! So more then likely there image will fail on the i7's? Thats good news just hope they don't take to long to figure that out! LOL

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Typically the oldest OS one can install on a machine is the one that it shipped with. You might be able to get around that with a bit of cleverness, but then the OS won't work properly.

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
I don't plan on leaving it at Leopard and yes at times they can be very retarded! So more then likely there image will fail on the i7's? Thats good news just hope they don't take to long to figure that out! LOL

It will kernel panic for sure even if you try cloning a workable install.

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Yeah what your trying to do will not work.

and the reasons for doing it are as said, a bit petty and stupid.

Learn to love them i much prefer it to 10.5, and I thought the SL stuff was bloody annoying when i first used it (quicktime player etc)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.