Has Anyone Dropped One Yet?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheSpaz, Sep 21, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Anybody drop an iPod Touch yet? If so, what was the damage report. What type of surface did it fall on and how far of a fall was it?

Also on a side note... does anyone know if the screen scratches easily or not? I bought screen protectors but, due to the opacity and material of these protectors, they make the screen look worse by looking like there's a coating of grease on it. I don't know how to explain it but, the protectors make the display look like it has glitter or sparkles on it.

2. woods1110 macrumors member

Before I returned mine tonight, I dropped it twice in a week. Both times I was getting out of my car so the fall was only 3-4 feet. The first time there wasn't any damage. The second time it hit the concrete driveway and literally chipped the corner. I had a piece of metal (the brushed looking metal on the outside edge of the screen) hanging off of the touch. I just took a black sharpie and colored it in and you couldn't even tell it was there. OUCH!

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Good to know. I don't wanna drop mine... that's for sure. You know, now that I think of it... I haven't dropped my 5G iPod EVER on a solid surface... I think I've dropped it on carpet a few times but, never on pavement or concrete... cool. I was just wondering how fragile the glass is. It's probably such a small piece of glass that it would be very hard to smash.

4. Tommyzors macrumors member

Dropped mine couple of days ago, now I got a little piece of missing glass with a long crack running through the top left corner. I had the "negative" screen issue and they are willing to replace it for no charge. Besides that the scren doesn't have 1 single scratch from that drop. Dropped it off about 4 feet into lumpy concrete and all the function is still good, pretty durable imo.

5. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

Yikes, makes me want to get a case (instead of using invisible shield to keep the back from scratching).

Its small size makes it seem like a fall would hurt it less (yes, I know Galileo proved that gravity effects all object equally) because there is less pressing down on the bottom. Plus, with flash memory it is sturdier.

But, I'll be moving it around alot and in places where it could be significantly damaged. While its nice to admire its tiny size, I've got to protect it first. My only fear is that something could hit its screen, but the chances of that are significantly less, and while using the screen, there's no getting around that one.

6. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

looks like it's time to bring out the bubble wrap and duck tape. :D

7. kjk437 macrumors newbie

About 3 and a half feet off of my desk onto the wooden leg of my office chair. Landed screen side up (*whew*). No damage outside of a nasty scratch on the back.