Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Just as the title says. Have you returned the iPhone 4 (for whatever reason) and re-activated your 3GS? Do you miss the Retina screen? Build quality?

Very curious. I am loving the iP4 but the reception issues...blah, blah, etc.

No need to go into that...

inviktus

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
I did. The screen is awful to look at, and i miss the gorgeous design of the iP4 But I do like the fact that I don't have to worry so much about dropping the phone, and it is nice to trust that I can get phone calls and data.

I will go back to the iP4 when the problems are fixed, but today's press release doesn't give me a lot of confidence that that'll happen anytime soon.

-vik

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I did. The screen is awful to look at, and i miss the gorgeous design of the iP4 But I do like the fact that I don't have to worry so much about dropping the phone, and it is nice to trust that I can get phone calls and data.

I will go back to the iP4 when the problems are fixed, but today's press release doesn't give me a lot of confidence that that'll happen anytime soon.

-vik

Thanks...that's the kind of feedback I was looking for.

MacKinvan

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
Returning

I am going to return it. Let me first premise this post by saying that I live in the DC area and since getting the iP4 I had maybe one or two dropped calls. I travel to Alabama for work and I have noticed a huge degradation in both reception, data and overall call quality. Like the poster before me I love the phone, display, camera and overall design of the new installment but if it cannot function as a phone then it is not for me.

mbob

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
Back on my 3gs over here. The screen is the only thing I miss but I cannot except owning a phone that would not function as a phone.

I've had AT&T since long before the iphone as they cover my home better then the rest. My Win Mobile phones and wife's Nokia always were 3-4 bars and never a single drop. My 3g and 3gs are 1 - 3 bars with occaisional drop calls but liveable. My ip4 is 1-2 and when you pick it up no service so I had to return it.

iPhoneHome

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
Some people just weren't built to be "early adopters". Things happen with new products... It'll all be ironed out. Jumping ship this early is kind of lame.. IMO *Kanye shrug*

inviktus

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Some people just weren't built to be "early adopters". Things happen with new products... It'll all be ironed out. Jumping ship this early is kind of lame.. IMO *Kanye shrug*

Sorry to hear that I don't have your approval. I understand and for the most part am willing to accept the sacrifices inherent in adopting early. I was willing to hold the phone differently and even to work around the proximity sensor problem. But non-existent 3G is a deal-breaker (while the phone was sitting untouched on my desk, in the same spot that my 3G and my 3GS happily sat).

I can accept a lot as an early adopter, but I can't accept a phone that doesn't work as a phone. I'm glad yours is working well, and I can't wait until I can buy one that works well too! :)

-vik

dtjay7

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
N. CA
I returned mine. I am not happy but at least my phone works. I waited up through the night to place my order in the early morning of the 15th and successfully placed my order. I was really anxious to get it. But, I live in a fairly low signal area and the problems with reception were really concerning. But, the then the second day I had it I got the NO SIM error. Nothing I could do would fix it. I power cycled it, and I reseated the sim card. Nothing!!! I took it into apple and they took it in back and suggested a new sim. I wasn't confident that it would work long term and I live out in the country away from other phones and if I need my phone I didn't want it to not work. I will wait and see how it goes. I am hopeful that the problems can be remedied.

I think most people here tend to be early-adopters but your phone is more than just a cool gadget. For many, including me, it is my primary form of communication.

Dsking85

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
i could never go back to the old 3GS screen. After seeing the i4 screen, I would just be way, way too disappointed.

NetBaffle

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
I am having problems with my iPhone's battery and hopefully I can get it replaced soon but I don't think I can go back to a previous-gen iPhone and be happy. I've been spoiled by the retina display. I powered on my old iPhone 3G yesterday to play around with it and the screen bothered the hell out of me...pixels pixels pixels.

Trishul

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Really?

Some just need the attention I guess.

This post sums up exactly why I don't use these forums as much as I used to.

Just isn't a friendly place anymore :-(

On topic, I feel bad for those having trouble, I live in uk on O2, and have had no problems, if anything better sounding calls, faster Internet, only issue is I'm unsure if my battery is 100% right. I did miss the slightly wider body of the 3G as it felt easier to hold, but after getting the bumper I'm loving the shape and way it feels. I want to know how resilient the back glass is before I treat it the same way I did my 3G, which felt more hardy.. Other than that, I find it hard to look at the 3G screen, retina display is simply too cool!

mattwestside

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
I returned mine and went back to the 3GS. I will wait till Apple secretly updates their antenna with an invisible coating (or whatever it is you know they're going to do).

I miss the hi-res screen and better battery life. But my 3GS is unlocked and jailbroken, and to be honest I really like the backgrounder app better than iOS4's multi-tasking capabilities. I also enjoy not being terrified about placing the phone on a glass table for fear of scratching it, or shattering the glass because it's the same tensile strength, or any of that other BS.

Signal quality seems better on my 3GS. I'm left-handed so it's probably more pronounced for me.

Throughout all of this, Apple's customer service has been extremely understanding, and I will definitely buy from them again, so long as they find a muzzle to put on their CEO so he doesn't continue to alienate his customer base.

purell

macrumors member
May 13, 2010

-vik

Same here. I'll be waiting a month until reviews come in and the issue is truly fixed.

I'm in no rush.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Those of you who are back to/sticking to your 3GS, are you using iOS 4 or did you stick with the previous OS?

sadievan

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Those of you who are back to/sticking to your 3GS, are you using iOS 4 or did you stick with the previous OS?

I'd be interested in knowing this also as I am a new 3GS owner and debating if I should upgrade the OS. Mine currently has 3.1.3 on it.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007

+1

If I go back I'm not sure if I want to go up to 4.0. I'm Jailbroken on my 3.x 3GS and love it. If it had the Retina screen I'd be good to go.

inviktus

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010

I'm using iOS4 on my 3GS. I'm not jailbroken, and I didn't want to give up multitasking. But iOS4 runs great on a 3GS, so there's no reason I can think of not to update.

-vik

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Just me who thinks the iPhone 4 screen is overrated?

3GS screen is fine

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
having the iPHone 4 for one week now, I will say 100% without a doubt, the 3GS' screen looks DULL AND WASHED OUT.

I will not go back to the 3GS. A case over the iPhone 4 is an order of magnitude better than having to go back to using an iPHone 3GS.

pabloelque

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Does anyone know if new 3gs' are shipping with iOS 4 or 3.x.x?

I was going to get an iP4 but cancelled both a reservation and an actual order after deciding to not be such an eager first adopter. (Currently have a 3g.)

sadievan

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Does anyone know if new 3gs' are shipping with iOS 4 or 3.x.x?

I was going to get an iP4 but cancelled both a reservation and an actual order after deciding to not be such an eager first adopter. (Currently have a 3g.)

Don't know about if you order it online, but I just got a 3GS 32GB from my local ATT store on Wednesday. It has OS 3.1.3. I called a couple of ATT stores to see if they still had some in stock and they did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.