Carrier Has anyone else disabled WiFi calling?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zorinlynx, Oct 5, 2018.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

I'm on AT&T, and I noticed that whenever I tried to make or receive a call on WiFi calling, it just never ends up being a stable, solid connection. It tends to break up now and then, or weird things happen like silence, then it sounds like the caller is speaking really fast for a moment.

It's not my ISP, either; this happens whether I'm at home or at work, or pretty much anywhere. As soon as I turn off WiFi and simply talk over cellular, the call is solid and stable with no noticeable problems, even with only one or two bars of signal.

So I finally just gave up and switched it off. I suppose I'll turn it on manually if I need it, like if I'm in a place with WiFi and no cellular coverage and need to make a call. But it's just been more trouble than it's worth.

I'm wondering if others have had a similar experience and came to the same conclusion. Also if there's a solution, but I suspect this is a problem on AT&T's side that I can't do much about.

EDIT: I'm on an iPhone 7 Plus, by the way. But I doubt my phone is problem, as this issue goes waaaaayy back to the beginnings of WiFi calling when I had an iPhone 6. Back then I was hopeful they were just bugs in the system because it was new, but it's still crap so...

2. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

I've never used wifi calling. I have Verizon and unlimited calling so do not see the need

3. iKevinT macrumors member

I think I turned it off as soon as it became an option. What’s the point with unlimited call plans?

4. jlevy73 macrumors member

I suspect it's AT&T. I live in area of Los Angeles where no carriers have good reception. If it wasn't for wifi calling I'd have to resort to smoke signals. In my experience with all the carriers, T-Mobile has the most rock solid wifi calling, following by Verizon. If you can, I'd try T-Mobile as wifi calling is pretty damn impressive. Never had a call drop.

5. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

It’s all about signal strength, nothing to do with minutes being used. In areas where there’s weak cellular reception the Wi-Fi calling really does make a difference. My office has poor cell reception and without Wi-Fi calling enabled, I’d never be able to make or get calls.

6. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

My daughter's workplace has terrible cell coverage. She can't text or call without wifi calling.

7. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

8. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

9. profmatt macrumors 68000

profmatt

I get sucky cellphone coverage where I live. I have to use WIFI calling.

10. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

I leave it on. One because it needed to update the address for TMo especially to get the free wifi using Gogo inflight and the other reason is int'l travel. If you use wifi then you don't get charged for the calls.

11. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I tried it on verizon but ended up turning it off. I had a lot of dropped calls with it.

12. ant the ninja macrumors 6502

ant the ninja

This. My workplace is a total deadzone for all carriers, WiFi calling is the only way I can make/receive calls and texts (non-iMessage)

13. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

For people who live in areas with choppy cell service WiFi calling is a savior.

14. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I have never turned it on. I hate making phone calls as it is (on the phone all day at work)...

15. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

I would bet most carriers would prefer that everyone use wifi calling.

16. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

It's on and seems to be doing its job well in poor coverage areas so no reason to turn it off.

17. cynics macrumors G4

Reception is a little spotty at my house so I leave it on. It works very well, turning it off even with weak coverage seems to help my battery but not enough that I would deal with dropped calls in random areas of my house.

18. davewolfs macrumors regular

I use WiFi calling exclusively with T-Mobile and it works fantastic. You need a quality internet connection and priority should be given to your calls in your router.

19. Smoothie macrumors 6502a

I rely on WiFi calling at home because I get one or two bars max (usually one). I’m on Verizon and it works great. Very good audio quality.

20. AppleWes, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018

AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

Gotta love the replies who seem to not understand it's NOT just about "using minutes", it has to do with signal strength. Same as others have mentioned- I get no reception at work but we have strong WiFi, so I depend on WiFi calling.

Verizon on the west side of Los Angeles is very spotty. Sometimes great but walk past one building and zero bars. (Culver/Century City/Beverly Hills area)

21. jtrue28 macrumors 6502a

jtrue28

Can’t make calls in my basement without it. AT&T sucks.

22. mdlooker, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018

mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I'm currently West of China on my Verizon account. I keep my phone on Airplane mode and onto a Wifi network. I can and have literally called all over the world and not had any reception issue provided the Wifi signal was good.

One of the best features eeeveerrrrr.

It's perfect for calls outside of plan calling areas, ie cruises, international trips, etc.

23. cbreze macrumors 6502a

cbreze

I find I need a good wifi signal and it will work fine. Was crap before I upgraded my internet router and got a speed bump. OP, you should put it in airplane mode and try a call near your router. Could be your att signal is also competing with it. My iPhone is on Verizon and even when my signal gets poor it doesn't always switch. My Android is on project Fi and it prefers wifi over cellular when available. The Android sounds great on wifi, while the iPhone on wifi not so good unless I try airplane mode.

24. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Yea they don’t understand it has more to do with the reception and less to do with the minutes.