Has Anyone Else Done This?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by leerkeller, Apr 24, 2014.

1. leerkeller, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

leerkeller macrumors member

I really hadn't paid close attention to the base of my iMac until recently. When under inspection with a bright light I see that I have caused the keyboard to inflict a very large number of scratches on the aluminum base. There doesn't seem to be any areas of base aluminum on keyvoard aluminum contact, but I don't think those scratches were caused by the plastic keyboard bottom. None of the scratches go deep and are tactilely imperceptible(can only be seen, not felt).

Now for the questions. Has anyone else had a similar occurrence with their iMac, I think it would make me feel better to know I am not the only one. Secondly, since the scratches are primarily superficial can anything be done to remove or at least fade the scratches. If so can anyone recommend a method of buffing out/removing the scratches? Such as which brush, polisher, wax or other cleaning products to use.

Finally I would just want to make the recommendation that anyone with an iMac should invest in some sort of protection film for the iMac base.
    The subject of the post, my iMac Base.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

See if you can wipe them off with a pure-water-damped cloth.

3. Seramir macrumors member

Seramir

What base are we talking about in regards to the scratches? The base of the iMac itself (or do you mean the feet?) or base of the keyboard?

If it's just the keyboard that has scratches, I think that's way easier to replace than the iMac itself.

Anyway, I have a few brand new iMacs arrived out of the box which what looked like a mix of white and black scratches and scuffs on the backside of the aluminum. Most of the time, taking a damp microfiber cloth and wiping the affected areas were able to clear all, if not most of them off. A few marks did require me to use a Clorox wipe to get out. My current iMac now is totally pristine in condition.

I never put the keyboard anywhere near the iMac itself, but rather on its own keyboard tray below the iMac. I don't like when aluminum brushes against aluminum, it just calls for disaster. :eek:

4. leerkeller thread starter macrumors member

I had attached a photo of the scratches in the original post. A forum moderator must have removed them for some reason. Another copy is attached to this reply.

P.S- Could the moderator who removed my attachments explain why that was done. If I somehow had broken a posting rule I was unaware of it. I would like to know what I did wrong, so I will know not to do it in the future.

Attached Files:

5. Che Castro macrumors 603

I came in here to call you crazy , but those scratches on the pics look really bad
    Good luck

6. leerkeller thread starter macrumors member

Crazy....?

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

The iMac base is aluminum, is this correct?

Sometimes aluminum surfaces can have a thin "clear coat" applied, for protection.

Not sure whether Apple does this with the iMacs or not.

You might try something like "Novus 1" plastic polish. Put a little on and wipe with a clean cloth. It certainly won't harm anything, and may help make the scratches less noticeable.

You didn't say how old the iMac is. If a few years' old, I'd grumble a bit and just chalk it up to normal "wear and tear"...

8. leerkeller thread starter macrumors member

It is a late 2009 iMac......so yeah.

9. Seramir macrumors member

Seramir

Since it's just the stand that's damaged, I guess you can simply replace the stand with a new one or one that doesn't have scratches.

Taking off the stand on a 2009 iMac and installing a new one should be easy.

Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQurKC7z4II