Has anyone else had this issue with their display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drog, Feb 28, 2008.

1. drog macrumors newbie

Hey... sorry if this has been asked, but I've had my new mbp for a day now and i've noticed twice that i've got about 9 or 10 faint black lines that run up and down my screen if it is on a lighter background (such as this forums color scheme)...don't notice it if I go to my desktop, which is much darker, but just wondering if maybe my screen has an issue that requires it being replaced? When I noticed it last night I just closed the screen and reopened and I didn't notice it again all day...now it's acting up again! Definitly don't want to deal with seeing these once a day hah!

2. drog thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the crappy quality, but only had my cell to take a picture

3. drog thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh sorry they're showing up on my screen, must of done something wrong... I'll try and find somewhere else to host the pictures!

4. drog thread starter macrumors newbie

5. drog thread starter macrumors newbie

6. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

i have the exact same thing, i never really thought much of it since its been there from the beginning and I have only noticed it during boot up. But now that you mentioned it if i look closely enough I can see it even now. Defiantly not noticeable unless your looking for it though. What do you guys think, warrants a visit to an applestore?

EDIT: didnt look at your pics, thats different from my problem. My screen has horizontal bars that move up my screen, like when you video tape a TV, but not as extreme.

7. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

Wow that is crazy.. ive never seen anything like that. I would absolutely not settle for that.. That is not nitpicking.. thats a defective unit.

Take it back and get yourself a working machine for your 2000+ investment

8. drog thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, just wanted to see what you guys thought! It's weird, if I close my laptop and reopen it immediately, the lines are gone. Don't think I should have to shut it to get it working properly though..

Should they be able to transfer all my files from this computer onto the new one in-store when I take it in?

9. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I have that on my Sony VAIO TX laptop, and it bugs me a lot.
    Thankfully it's not present on my MBP.
    I would take that back for an exchange, its due to bad LED backlighting.

10. honeycrisp macrumors regular

Definitely have that replaced...

11. drog thread starter macrumors newbie

12. FBL macrumors newbie

Is the screen on the new one ok?

Is the new one okay?

Some of us are wondering if we should get the new Penryn MBP or get last years:

Apple MacBook Pro MA895LL/A 15.4" Laptop (2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD SuperDrive) for $1536 (after $150 rebate).
    Is the new MBP with the larger HD and SCROLL PAD worth it? I would hate to get saddled with a clunker.

I've waited a while for the release of the new MBP, a few weeks longer of reading posts, won't hurt.
    The speed of the new one had been reported to be about the same as last year's model. The only real difference is the scroll pad. People have done without it for as long as Apple has had notebooks. If it turns out to be a MUST HAVE, it would be a good idea to purchase the unit at an Apple store (for quick replacement of a dud), or wait for the next update.
    (ME THINKING OUT LOUD...)

13. drog thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly, not the guy to be asking advice haha...Beyond not knowing much about computers in general, I haven't had the time to check out the new features...gotta love having 3 papers due the first week back from reading week (who actually reads on reading week :mad:). The one thing that is bugging me, and not sure if this is explained in the multi-touch tutorial or not, is that i'll be on a webpage and I go to put my fingers on the touchpad to navigate the page and out of nowhere the text either gets way bigger or can shrink....no idea how I'm doing it, but it's a quick fix. Other than that, this thing is nassssssty so far! It's a secondary comp for me and is way more than I need, but VERY happy I went with it over the Air (I had been debating getting the Air, thinking it was more computer than my old 12' G4 powerbook and would therefore be more than enough for me considering I was quite pleased with my G4 before the hd got cooked), but this was definitly the right call!

14. FBL macrumors newbie

Can you temporarilly turn off the scrolling feature?

Can you turn off the scrolling feature so you can use the touch pad as a regular touch pad until you get the papers done? That way you can learn when you have time? Some have said it had taken them a week to master the gestures. They also reported the smaller touch pad was actually easier to use than the larger one found on the AIR (I read some gripes about the smaller touch pad).

You might be able to turn off the scrolling in PREFERENCES/Mouse or Track pad. No sense adding more stress to your life.

Is the scrolling feature better suited for photos, and iTunes??? Is it just something you just have to get used to? (I'll find out soon.)

Is everything else working okay? Any loud buzzing sounds? Any other problems with the unit?

I've decided to get on at the local Apple store. That will make problem-solving a lot easier, should any arise.