Has anyone else had this problem with the new MBP Intel/nVidia graphics?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JustMack, Aug 5, 2010.

1. JustMack macrumors member

Hey all, just letting you all know I bought my brand new MBP (specs in signature) 2 weeks ago and I'm a proud owner! First mac, and I love it!

Small problem.

I just got my 2 week old MBP replaced because it wasn't sitting flat, wasn't going to sleep properly and what I thought was a problem with the graphics card.

The "problem" with the graphics card when I run Skype. On Skype, the graphics switches to the nVidia. I looked this up and apparently it's normal - though I find it strange that Skype would need the extra power as my 3 year old Asus EEE PC 701SD with its much more inferior runs Skype just fine.
    I felt I didn't need the nVidia when running Skype so i downloaded gfxCardStatus v1.8.1 (great app!), manually switch my graphics to Intel and then videocall on Skype.
    Now the problem: when on the Intel HD card, after a few minutes my cam stops working and I can't see the other persons camfeed either. This happens ALL the time whenever I switch to the Intel, but no problems when it's the nVidia apart from the battery killing.

I thought it was a problem with the MBP, so I got it replaced and I have the same problem again on this 6 hour old Mac.

I find this really annoying, I don't see why there could be a problem running Skype and videocalling on the Intel.

Anyone have any insight in this? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.

PS, I still have the sleep issue where when I try to calibrate the battery, I can't do the final step where the Mac automatically doesn't go to sleep when the battery is low. It just hibernates.
    I read a few threads and it seems others have this problem but there's no solution. I asked the guys at the Apple store (clerk, genius bar technician and manager) and they said this is not normal and gave me perplexed faces and shouldn't happen. Yet, I have the problem again.

Any suggestions?

I run Skype, BetterTouchTool, smcFanControl, Skype, Microsoft Messenger, Spottify and Chrome constantly. Could these apps prevent the automatic sleep?

2. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Skype forces to Mac to run on the higher graphic card. I don't know why, but it does. Its like this for all the Macbook's.

For the hibernation issue, just set your Mac so that it never turns off the display or anything and it will eventually die. You have to wait 5 hours to plug it back in so it wipes the RAM and stuff.

3. JustMack thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, ccashman92, I forgot to type in "doesn't" before the goes to sleep. I'll edit my post right now..

4. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I just reread your original post. I thought this was your third mac (second replacement). But it is actually your first replacement right?

and it doesn’t go to sleep before it dies?
    Do you get the "Battery is running on critical levels (or w/e it says)” message?

5. JustMack thread starter macrumors member

Yep, first replacement.

Yeh, I get that warning and it tells me that the MBP will goto sleep in a few minutes. 20 minutes later it just dies.

6. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

It's got nothing to do with your mac. It's got everything to do with apples poor implementation of gpu switching.

Anyways,this issue was a HUGE to-do here around the time these models came out and eventually an awesome member wrote this program and it works wonders!

It is just a little icon that goes in your menu that lets you pick which gpu to use and it will stay.

7. JustMack thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, ozreth, but I posted that I already use that great app =D

the problem is when I manually change the graphics card to the Intel and then Skype doesn't work.

8. Meever macrumors 6502a

I don't understand the bit about "dying" you mean the computer turns off on it's own? That would be the hibernation kicking in, unless you fiddled with the settings or something. That's what laptops do. They go into hibernation to give you a couple hours to get to an outlet so you can continue wherever you left off.

9. JustMack thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that's what I mean. It switches itself off and goes into hibernation.

I know that's what most laptops do, but I was under the impression (aswell as the guys in the apple shop) that the MBP would go into sleep first on low battery, THEN hibernate after a few hours.

10. Meever macrumors 6502a

Yeah, they do go to sleep. But once the battery hits whatever the percentage is (it could be in sleep mode or you could be using it) it will go into hibernation.

Or are you saying the laptop NEEDS to go to sleep THEN hibernate? If it is the later you were misinformed. The laptop doesn't need to be in sleep to go into hibernation.

11. JustMack thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I understand all this.

The actual problem is that the MBP should goto sleep automatically when it hits a certain low percentage (or so i have been informed) but the MBP DOESN'T got into sleep mode automatically. It just go straight to 0% and then hibernates, instead of just going to sleep.

I'm trying to calibrate my battery, and the instructions on the apple website goes like this:

"To calibrate a portable computer battery:
    1. Plug in the MagSafe Power Adapter and fully charge the battery.

When the battery is fully charged, the light on the MagSafe Power Adapter connector changes to green and the Battery icon in the menu bar indicates that the battery is charged.

2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for two hours or longer.

You can use your computer during this time as long as the power adapter is plugged in.

3. With the computer still on, disconnect the power adapter and continue to use your computer.

4. When you see the low battery warning, save your work and close all applications. Keep your computer turned on until it goes to sleep.

5. After your computer goes to sleep, turn it off or allow it to sleep for five hours or longer.

6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged.

You can use your computer during this time."

NOTE: Step 4 does not occur for me, I get the warning and I close everything. Yet, it won't automatically goto sleep. It'll just stay on until the batter goes to 0% then hibernate. Therefore step 5 does not happen for me either.

All of this is just so that I can calibrate my battery properly.

12. Meever macrumors 6502a

it doesn't need to go to sleep.

As long as it goes into hibernation it's fine. let it go into hibernation then just leave it there for 5 hours so the battery drains.

The instructions were a little oddly worded. I think it means leave your computer on and eventually it will go to sleep, then into hibernation. If you are using it until hibernation naturally your computer can't sleep, since you are keeping it up.

13. JustMack thread starter macrumors member

Ok thats makes things far more simpler and clears things up. Thank you very much!

14. Xenophon macrumors regular

Are you always such a jerk or only on uneven dates? The OP paid (more than enough) good money to have a machine that works as described. If he wanted a half-ass rigged laptop there's cheaper options out there. Apple can't get the switching right but that shouldn't be the customers problem.

15. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I was temporarily pissed off.
    Mass Effect 2 on Insanity will do that to ya.

16. xaquaticx macrumors regular

Yeah no kidding. Cody Krieger THANK YOU again! Apple should HIRE YOU!!!

This has helped big time.