Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
I got the pre authorization charge, but it disappeared after 3 days, and so far I have not been charged for my phone. But my phone was shipped with the rest of them, and now apparently is coming on the 23rd. When will I be charged?

PureRED

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
San Marcos, Texas
I was actually going to call tomorrow about this very issue. It showed up, then vanished. I still have a $1 authorization hold though, as I'm sure you do too--I just wonder when they're going to actually POST it.

PureRED

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
San Marcos, Texas
Mine's still showing up as: CHECKCARD AUTH XXXXX44977 06/16/10 APL*APPLEONLINESTOREUS 800-676-2775 CA $1.00

Though, first it was for 213 and some change, then that vanished.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
i HAD a 318 dollar pending but it was removed a few days ago and i don't even have the $1 hold now. it's just gone.

Fuizer

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
My iPhone has shipped as of this morning, however there is still no charge on my CC

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
Mine's still showing up as: CHECKCARD AUTH XXXXX44977 06/16/10 APL*APPLEONLINESTOREUS 800-676-2775 CA $1.00

Though, first it was for 213 and some change, then that vanished.

I had two pre-auths, one for $360 (The price of mine with tax in CA) and $1, then the $1 disappears and the $360 stayed for 3 days then disappeared. Currently there are no pre-auths on my account. It sucked too cause I wasn't expecting a pre-auth of $360 until it shipped, and in my haste to order it at 1am on the 15th I caused a string of overdrafts on my account, (I hadn't transferred the money out of my other account yet). Bank of America overturned all of them but one after arguing with them over the phone for about an hour. (So my phone cost an extra $35... thanks BOA constrictor).

PureRED

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
San Marcos, Texas
I had two pre-auths, one for $360 (The price of mine with tax in CA) and $1, then the $1 disappears and the $360 stayed for 3 days then disappeared. Currently there are no pre-auths on my account. It sucked too cause I wasn't expecting a pre-auth of $360 until it shipped, and in my haste to order it at 1am on the 15th I caused a string of overdrafts on my account, (I hadn't transferred the money out of my other account yet). Bank of America overturned all of them but one after arguing with them over the phone for about an hour. (So my phone cost an extra $35... thanks BOA constrictor).

Overdrafts are the biggest rip off ever. I want to switch to that Ally online bank. They charge 9 bucks a day for overdrafts, not individually.

I would really like them to take the cash out of my account. I'm a college student and notoriously bad at budgeting--so I don't want money in my account that I don't really have.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
Overdrafts are the biggest rip off ever. I want to switch to that Ally online bank. They charge 9 bucks a day for overdrafts, not individually.

I would really like them to take the cash out of my account. I'm a college student and notoriously bad at budgeting--so I don't want money in my account that I don't really have.

Oh wow thats really nice, yeah thats exactly what I wish I had, and need. I got 4 $35 overdrafts at once each of them being for charges less than $5 (One being a $1 itunes charge) because of the iPhone pre-auth. But Bank of america are changing their policy in august, to automatically decline any charge that would overdraft your account, and then give you the option online to authorize such charge with the acceptance of a $35 fee. (This isn't them being nice though, the law changes in 2011, making overdrafts like the way they do them illegal).

PureRED

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
San Marcos, Texas
Oh wow thats really nice, yeah thats exactly what I wish I had, and need. I got 4 $35 overdrafts at once each of them being for charges less than $5 (One being a $1 itunes charge) because of the iPhone pre-auth. But Bank of america are changing their policy in august, to automatically decline any charge that would overdraft your account, and then give you the option online to authorize such charge with the acceptance of a $35 fee. (This isn't them being nice though, the law changes in 2011, making overdrafts like the way they do them illegal).

I got that letter too! Thank god. I'd much rather be told "you can't do that" rather than "Sure you can buy that--now pay us a crap ton of fees!"

bub

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010

Within the last few hours for me - the charge definitely wasn't there when I checked around 8pm. I have the charge for the phone and then a charge for a penny. I'm used to a dollar being put on hold, but I've never seen a separate charge for a penny. No clue what's going on there.

PureRED

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
San Marcos, Texas
Within the last few hours for me - the charge definitely wasn't there when I checked around 8pm. I have the charge for the phone and then a charge for a penny. I'm used to a dollar being put on hold, but I've never seen a separate charge for a penny. No clue what's going on there.

I have a personal theory that they have trained apes running their billing department pressing keys. Eventually they'll get it right, but until then I guess we'll see some weird stuff.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Mine was pending for $325 immediately after preordering. A few days later it disappeared and I have yet to be charged anything. Hey, I'm not complaining. :p

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York

BoA is the worst! I used to overdraft every now and then because things would either post late or in a weird manner. Since I switched to Chase, I haven't over drafted once. They also have overdraft protection options now, as BoA seems to be implementing in August.

rfmurphy81

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I had split my payment over two cards, but the second one kept getting declined because it was a AMEX gift card and they put that extra penny on that card (of course). Meanwhile, my other card had a pending that posted transaction for the remainder balance but it seems to have disappeared a day or two later. I ended up switching that remainder balance to my other card and now that balance is pending (with the extra penny) in my account but I'm really curious where the other part of the charges are that had disappeared...

I'm getting a little concerned, too, as my order status page has been on Prepared for Shipment for several days now. I even tried the track by reference trick on Fedex, but no results seem to appear. I'm guessing that my phone is on its way, but I'm not feeling very comforted right now.

It seems like a lot of other people on this forum have been fully charged, received tracking numbers and are getting status update e-mails from Apple quite often. I've only gotten e-mails related to my payment being rejected then confirming the order when I called them to straighten it out.

Anyone else in a similar situation (not fully charged, no tracking number yet, listed as Prepared for Shipment status, no emails from Apple in the past few days)?

drfullet87

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
prepared for shipment limbo

Hi, I am also in the prepared for shipment pergatory and have been for several days. I see no charge or hold on my card. I called Apple this morning and he said nothing is wrong, my phone is supposedly on a palette and just waiting to leave a warehouse....i just wonder...how am i supposed to get my phone by the 24th...i live in Iowa and im assuming all phones are coming from quite a ways away from me.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
So I finally was charged, but interestingly enough I was charged $325 rather than $360. Anyone else in california get a lower sales tax on their credit card? (Originally it had said that in california you would be charged tax on the unsubsidized price of the phone).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.