Has anyone else noticed how well these things are sealed?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Blondie :), Aug 12, 2010.

1. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

:D I took apart my MB to kinda "check things out" as far as dust went. I've had it for 9 months. I took the bottom case off, and I got a pleasant surprise to see that there wasn't a single speck of dust in the computer itself! Even the fan was perfectly clean! All of my old laptops before I made the switch (one of the best decisions of my life) would get so dusty it would make the computers heat up even worse than they did before. But with my MB, I know I won't have to worry about dust for quite some time :D :apple:

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Sadly my brothers Aluminum Unibody MacBook (Late 2008) will collect dust rather quickly. It sucks in dust faster than his old cheap Gateway. I've cleaned the fan out on 5 different occasions since he bought it (November 2008) The heatsink also gets dust trapped. While it looks as these Apple fans won't collect much dust, a decent amount makes it in.

3. wmw71190 macrumors member

This is kinda surprising. I've seen a ton of pictures of horrible dust collection inside Macbooks. I would imagine you have a unibody one? Maybe these have improved the dust problem over the old non-unibody Macbooks.

4. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Slightly off topic but do I really have to disassemble pretty much the entire (non-unibody) MacBook to clean the fans? It's 3 years old and I don't think it's ever been cleaned so I'm getting suspicious...

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

No. Just remove the top case (palm rest, keyboard, trackpad assembly) and you have access t0 the fan.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Core-2-Duo-Fan/522/1

6. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Mine loves heating dust:p and hair :eek: the bottom it's not tight fit. But my old hp has an vacuum cleaner thirsty for dust:D

7. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

My late 09 Mb collects quite a bit of dust,I pull it apart and spray it our once every few weeks,just to keep it cool and performing quickly. :) My room is rather dusty though.

8. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow sounds like you guys haven't fared out anywhere near as well as I have. I sorry :(

9. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

it really depends where and how much you use it:p mine already has the keys with that shinny worn look:rolleyes:

10. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe I just use mine in a somehow cleaner environment or something, or maybe I'm just special :p My keys are starting to have the worn look, but they've held up considerably well based on how much typing I do on a daily basis. (mostly here during the summer though :p ) haha

11. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

I do type a lot:D and since no university = more games = more cleaning :p but mine is still white:D a few scratches but it works just fine:)

12. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? Mine is scratched to hell haha. I used it for the last semester of high school, and will be using it for university here in about two weeks. I've definitely proven the durability of this thing haha

13. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

mine is already being tested at university and it is doing very well:apple: When going to programming classes or laboratories it's the only mac but it even works better than the crappy hp (with better specs) that it replaced or my friends pcs:D