Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottButler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
Sunderland, UK
Before iOS 10, my devices would automatically update apps overnight. However since iOS 10, when I unlock with Touch ID in the morning, apps start auto updating then instead and I see lots of loading circles.

Has anyone else noticed this change?

Reactions: willmtaylor

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Before iOS 10, my devices would automatically update apps overnight. However since iOS 10, when I unlock with Touch ID in the morning, apps start auto updating then instead and I see lots of loading circles.

Can't say I have.
I have my iPhone on auto update which it handles like normal. I have my iPad on manual update. What I have noticed on my iPad, and far worse than iOS9, is that the number of updates pending vs. the number of updates available in the app update tab itself, seldom match.

yellowscreen

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2015

Yep, definitely. It seems automatic updates are more aggressive in ios10

humanresources

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2016
yep. its nice seeing which apps are updating. it seem slike theyre already downloaded and install when you unlock the device

Ggvfvgbffbf

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Manchester, England
I've noticed this, but feel it's a bit of a regressive step. Previously the apps were all updated overnight and be ready to go with a blue dot next to them, now when you unlock you have to wait for them to install?

Reactions: willmtaylor

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
I've noticed this, but feel it's a bit of a regressive step. Previously the apps were all updated overnight and be ready to go with a blue dot next to them, now when you unlock you have to wait for them to install?

Personally I never had any blue dot on the apps updated overnight. Only when I was updating them manually in the app store. And I am fine with it, I don't care having a blue dot on an app I am opening only once in a while.

Now it's the same but as mentionned by the OP apps are updated when the device is unlocked instead of overnight. I don't like it because generally it means that the device is unplugged and then it use the battery, while before iOS 10 it wasn't the case, everything was done with the device plugged in.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Yep, I've notice they'll download while the device is in sleep but won't install until after the device is unlocked.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I've noticed this too and agree it's a step back from iOS 9's behavior. Having all the apps update overnight was a lot more efficient.

Also, I get a lot of hung installs (darkened icons saying "waiting") because after unlocking the phone, I go outside of wifi range and updates refuse to continue leaving the app in an unusable state unless I manually force an update through cellular data.

ScottButler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
Sunderland, UK
I'm thinking this could be a bug as it's such a step back, but I'm going to provide feedback to Apple and hope this gets addressed.

This point is especially interesting as it makes for a bad experience for the user, when this feature should just be a 'set it and forget it' thing.

Also, I get a lot of hung installs (darkened icons saying "waiting") because after unlocking the phone, I go outside of wifi range and updates refuse to continue leaving the app in an unusable state unless I manually force an update through cellular data.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
I got a whole bunch of automatic updates during last night, I saw it because I had a lot of notifications in the morning when unplugging the phone. First time since iOS 10 is installed on my device. I don't know if it was a bug and/or if Apple changed something, but it's nice to see this behavior coming back.

EDIT: Hum, nevermind, I got some updates right during the day when the phone wasn't charging... o_O

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.