Has anyone else seen what I'm describing on their MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cosrocket, Sep 24, 2009.

1. cosrocket macrumors regular

I just received my 15” MacBook Pro a couple of days ago and I’m wondering if something I’m seeing is normal or a lack of quality control so to speak. I notice when even a little sunlight is shining on it that through the perforated holes where the speakers are it looks unfinished, sort of like discolorations. It looks pretty unsightly, but then when there is no sunlight it cannot be seen at all. I’m just curious if anyone else has seen the same thing. Thanks.

2. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I can't honestly say I have noticed that one of my best friends has a 15" I have a 13" but I really can't say I have noticed that, it could just be the angle the light is hitting the perforation. I will keep an ear out there though because this is interesting.

3. ljx718 macrumors 6502

i know exactly what youre talking about and i think that its jsut the way it is. ive seen some form of that in almost every unibody macbook pro ive seen.

4. Bigabouli macrumors member

it's normal, with sunlight shining on it you can see some internals (like where the speakers are located) and the roughness of the cutting process a bit.

5. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Yes I have experienced the same issue. It must be the discoloration that resulted when the aluminum finish didn't properly settle in the perforated metal. Fortunately, for me it isn't much of a problem. Try not to think about it much. ;-)

6. macgirl89 macrumors member

Hmm... I have the 13" so I don't have the speaker grills like on the 15"... but I think I have noticed this on my trackpad. The top side of the trackpad is slightly rough, like it wasn't smoothed out as the other sides were. When I run my finger across the other sides, they're smooth, but that one top side is just a little rough... It is noticeable under light if you're really looking for it (which I've looked for just about anything on my MBP since I don't want it damaged), but I guess I'm fine with living with it.

7. eldivino macrumors member

I know exactly what you mean... The same thing happens with my MBP. It seems kinda dusty but it depends on what angle I look at it.

8. nateharr macrumors 6502

I have the same issue on my 13" with the blinking sleep light thing. It looks fine when the light doesn't come on, but when the laptop is sleeping the light is uneven and weird looking.

9. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

All of the unibody's are like that. It looks like dust on the speakers.

(like everyone else said)

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

Thats why they have illuminated keys - you're not actually supposed to use it in the sun. Notice that when you close the lid the little light blinks like a heartbeat? - - a slow heartbeat - like primal beast slow heartbeat.... its not "sleeping" its in an "undead" state. Just waiting for you to turn your back on it during a full moon.... If you think I'm kidding, two days after a full moon check your logs. You'll see that it awakened at some un-gawdly hour.... why? Except to wreak havoc.... have you been missing your keys lately? Found green yogourt in the fridge.... oh boy, I've gotta stop watching late night TV.... really, quit obsessing.... :D

11. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Whoa, I was just wondering about this myself. I haven't really cleaned up my 15" MBP in awhile (I know I know, shame on me!) and was just noticing how my speaker grills like kinda "dusty". Took a slightly damp paper towel to it and the dust aint going away! Guess it aint dust at all...lol