Has anyone else's experience with this beta gotten worse?

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I am on a Verizon iPhone 5s. I had a good experience with this beta up until a few days ago and today has been terrible. I'm experiencing constant crashes, especially when unlocking my phone. I find it strange that it has gotten so much worse. Any recommendations?

Mosi

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
The Nations Capital
I had to roll back to 7.1.1

While overall I found the beta to be relatively stable, I was getting pretty significant battery loss while using certain apps (Spotify, PocketCasts, Soundcloud) and the phone would get so hot I started to get worried.

I will probably give Beta 2 a try when it comes out but 7.1.1 is still a great version.

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
Except for a few apps that don't work my experience hasn't been any worse then previous iOS beta's.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
I agree with the OP. it started out great but seemed to get worse as I used it, very weird.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Odd. I actually experienced the opposite. The first few days were terrible with crashes and now all of a sudden it's been running smooth.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
My experience has gotten better. It started out really bad, but as of now, I have rare and random resprings and that's it.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I did a clean install and it was great for a few hours and then it starts crashing/re-springing every time I unlocked my phone again. I am now rolling back to ios 7.1.1.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
What I noticed is that there are more people that expect a Beta (especially a first Beta) to work.
Yeah one would think that they'd be more concerned about ensuring apps they are developing are compatible with iOS 8 vs how stable it is on their non primary idevice.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
mine has been ok. most crashes i see are with unlocking the phone with touch id. sometimes that crashes the spring board. other times the screen won't come on and i have to hold the power and home to wake it up. but everything has been mostly working. hope beta 2 hits this week.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I am on a Verizon iPhone 5s. I had a good experience with this beta up until a few days ago and today has been terrible. I'm experiencing constant crashes, especially when unlocking my phone. I find it strange that it has gotten so much worse. Any recommendations?
It's actually been pretty stable for me. Messages is the buggiest it seems.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Problems with 3rd party apps have been consistent. However general system/stock stability has improved for me. Safari was unusable at first, now it's fine

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Strange as it is. While still stable enough for daily use. I have experienced more issues over time with this beta.

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Strange as it is. While still stable enough for daily use. I have experienced more issues over time with this beta.
While several app issues have been resolved through updates by the devs (Tweetbot being the biggest one), I have had progressively worse issues with Apple's included apps since installing iOS8. I've even performed a clean install without restoring from a backup, and the problems continue to get worse. The hotspot feature works less than 1/4 of the time (when it does, it works for about 30 seconds before losing connectivity), and Settings will often close on me as soon as I open it (at least in that case, trying to open it again works). I've gone from restarting my phone once or twice a month to at least once a day over the last four days due to little issues like this.

nipunn

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2014
I installed it the day it came, but could not use it due to frequent crashed of whatsapp and line, which I use very frequently.
Last year when iOS 7 beta came, I could use it regularly, and could live with the flaws of it, which kept improving by time. But seriously saying, iOS 8 beta 1 is really difficult to use.

However, since we ALL are sure that iOS 8 beta 2 is on the way, should land any hour from now, I am using iOS 8 beta from yesterday night. I have already registered my UDID and will update from my phone itself.

Just keeping my fingers crossed that it improves atleast in app crashing, and I can live with that till it turns into Golden Master.

EricDejuan

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
iOS8 beta certainly feels like iOS8 Alpha. I cant even test apps on here because its so bad. It's definitely the buggiest beta I've ever experienced from Apple.

GoCoogs

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2014
iOS8 beta certainly feels like iOS8 Alpha. I cant even test apps on here because its so bad. It's definitely the buggiest beta I've ever experienced from Apple.
I second this, my phone is almost unusable 40% of the day.

Worst part is, I cannot roll back because my last iTunes backup was 6 months ago, and for some reason the most recent backup i did before i did the update says my backup is too new for iOS 7.

I can't use 70% of the apps on my phone without crashing, i can't send more than 3-4 consistent texts without messaging freezing up/crashing.

Can't see videos on facebook, randomly crashes. Can't take videos on snapchat at all, completely crashes, Google chrome does not work at all. Voicemails keep popping up randomly hours or days after i delete them. It's extremely frustrating. feels like they just tossed something together and tossed it out there.

REALLY hoping this next update fixes a lot of the stability issues. because right now iOS 8 is about as stable as Linsey Lohan at a crack house.

ReallyOldGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
I have to agree..as time progressed iMessages lost the keyboard and when it did work (the keyboard) it had lost it's predictive word function, I was really liking that

EricDejuan

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
I second this, my phone is almost unusable 40% of the day.

Worst part is, I cannot roll back because my last iTunes backup was 6 months ago, and for some reason the most recent backup i did before i did the update says my backup is too new for iOS 7.

I can't use 70% of the apps on my phone without crashing, i can't send more than 3-4 consistent texts without messaging freezing up/crashing.

Can't see videos on facebook, randomly crashes. Can't take videos on snapchat at all, completely crashes, Google chrome does not work at all. Voicemails keep popping up randomly hours or days after i delete them. It's extremely frustrating. feels like they just tossed something together and tossed it out there.

REALLY hoping this next update fixes a lot of the stability issues. because right now iOS 8 is about as stable as Linsey Lohan at a crack house.
Ya... its like they didn't test anything themselves, just put it out there, which is why i call it an Alpha. I have all of those same problems as well. My phone wont even charge half of the time. Sometimes it tells me my lock code is wrong. Go into standby and back.. and enter in my same code and it works. It feels like they rebuilt this from the ground up for the very first time.

I was impressed on how well iOS7 Beta 1 performed.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2013
I agree with the OP. Seems like it has been getting worse over time. I started fresh with a DFU install and no restore.

poorcody

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2013
For those with it getting worse, have you tried a power-off/power-on reboot? It's possible the beta has some code with memory leaks -- it would explain that behavior. Restarting should clear it if that is the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.