Has anyone ever actually had their carry-on weighed?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by foidulus, Jan 24, 2010.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

So in less than a month I'm about to embark on my 4th intercontinental move in 8 years and I am going to get screwed by the baggage allowance. I plan to pack all my heavy stuff(ie books and my macbook) in my carry on, but its going to go WAAAAAY over the 10kg limit. Has anyone ever actually had their carry-on baggage weighed? What did they do if it was overweight?

2. dankybear macrumors regular

I haven't, as long as it fit through the machine it was fine, I've never carried anything heavy though.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think if it looks over stuffed then yes. But quite frankly it would seem people can't read the rules and airlines don't care as long as it fits ok in the overhead.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Mine has never been weighed. To my undertsnading, as long as it's within the set carry on dimensions, you are fine

5. macmike47 macrumors regular

As far as I understand it, if you are able to stow your hand luggage away in the overhead compartments without the stewards needing to help you, there shouldn't be a problem. The airlines just don't want to be helping every second person to put away and get down their luggage.

6. dankybear macrumors regular

yeah the only way i could see this being a problem is if the xray machines had weight sensors... :confused:

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've traveled quite a bit in my day and never saw a carry on bag weighed. Measured, yes- never weighed.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree. Size was the key factor.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same here.

10. kyrian macrumors newbie

It really depends on what compan(ies) you're flying with, domestic tend to have the "as long as it doesn't stick out too much..." where as, if you have a layover in (for example) Hongkong then they'll triple check to make sure you have nothing illegal before they allow you on board --> chances of you being caught are greater. China A. is notorious for being extra strict.

Though I have to caution you to a small detail where the overhead bins were only built to accommodate up to a certain weight, I'm assuming it should be more than the 10kg per person but still...

Add to the possibility of turbulence --> chances are your overhead bin latch might not hold during the turbulence and upchuck your carry-on onto some unsuspecting fellow's head. So I hope you'd consider leaving your heavy carry-on at your feet, sure, it'll be uncomfortable but a bit easier to stowaway.

11. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I have had my carry on baggage weighed as follows.
    • Lufthansa - on every occasion I flew with them.
    • Air Canada - once.
    • Emirates - once.
    • Other airlines - never as far as I can remember.