Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kihmiitehra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Hello,

I'm a writer and I'm new to the Mac world; and I need a word processor that is 100% reliable and won't lose data or have too many bugs. I heard that Word 2011 was very buggy and sometimes lost data, so I'm wary about using it. Are Word 2008 or 2004 reliable?

Thank you so much,
Kihmiitehra (or just Kumi :))

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I have the 2004 version of MS Word and have found it to be very reliable. However, bear in mind that this is a relatively old version and will not run on Lion :(

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
I have had no problems with 2011 except that it is needing a Lion update to fix a few things. In SL it was running great and I constantly used it for school. My wife is writing a book right now using it as well with no problems.

Bug issues are due to OS upgrade, not the product. I'm sure a patch is in the works to get it all resolved.

I did have issues with 2008 losing text when I would switch between screens.

Kihmiitehra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
What do you mean by "switching screens"? And do you mean it lost the text completely or it just appeared to disappear?

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
What do you mean by "switching screens"? And do you mean it lost the text completely or it just appeared to disappear?

Moving between different screens in Expose (Snow Leopard). I would have a browser open on one screen and word on the other. The text would be wiped out... I had to save the document first then move to the browse or have it on the same screen.

I have had 2011 loaded and had no issues like this. However, it is a little buggy in Lion.

Kihmiitehra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
I had trouble with 2011... For some reason the display wouldn't refresh fast enough when I scrolled through text I had copied from the internet. I thought maybe because it was too new of a program, all the bugs hadn't been fixed yet. Has anyone else had problems with 2011? Or had any difficulties with 2004 or 2008? Please; the more people that tell me their experiences and confirm which Word program is better, the better. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.