Has anyone ever painted the exterior?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dobiewonkanobie, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Dobiewonkanobie macrumors regular

Has anyone here ever painted the exterior. I've seen a few images online but nothing stating exactly what was done. And I'm talking about doing quality, airbrushed work. Would it void the warranty? I'm also looking into gold or silver leafing the back of the screen. This is all just for fun.

FYI this on a MBP 15"

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

3. Dobiewonkanobie thread starter macrumors regular

I've seen the colorware website. I don't care much for what they have to offer let alone the price. I want to do something better, fully custom.

4. Chanel macrumors newbie

Well this guy looks like he just used normal airbrush paint, then clearcoated
    it. I just don't know whether or not it would chip or not because it's not
    baked?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwLMP2YUkII://

Also, in YouTube, search "Can Yucel Airbrush" and you will get LOTS of video's
    of a guy airbrushing laptops.

Cheers

5. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

This is a totally different idea than painting, but have you looking into custom laser etching?

ETCHamac has been covered on TUAW several times for their work, so they might be one place to check out.

EDIT: Some sample photos available in the various TUAW posts on ETCHamac.

6. Cmax macrumors member

Cmax

Been there, done that with a custom paint job on a made to order Sager rig.

Frankly, that custom paint job just got old after a few months -- yet I now must live with it forever. So, be careful here of what you seek!

Nevertheless, as "overanalyzer" suggested, the outfit called Colorware can do the nasty deed of after market painting

7. airbrushoptic macrumors newbie

Hello,:rolleyes:

Happy new year to everybody...:cool: I've recently discovered this thread just by coincidence while searching on the net. I noticed that some members here, knew my airbrush work on laptops through my youtube videos. I thought I should drop a few lines to tell you that the paint I use for this job (Glasurit 55 series acrylic auto paint) never chip if one doesn't scratch the surface with a hard material on purpose, esp. like keys, or similar metal objects....This paint and its varnish are the type that you see on cars, bikes, etc. and quite durable. Some small scratches which can happen in the very long term use, which makes the surace a bit dull and not shiny enough as it is on the very first day, can easily be managed with some polish and a piece of cotton.

For the ones interested in customizing their laptops with airbrushing the cover or the ones get their laptops painted can write to me...:)

Here are just a few examples...

Attached Files:

8. airbrushoptic macrumors newbie

A few more...

By the way, I forgot to mention that all these examples were baked after varnishing. Of course, the covers were done after getting them dismantled....I would definitely recommend to get the covers dismantled, if you are after an airbrush job.

Attached Files:

9. airbrushoptic macrumors newbie

This one I forgot to add here. It's one of mines which I pasted into a greeting card and sent around for the new year. I have many customers sending their laptop cover with cargo and get them back the same way after the job is done. This was one of them, I received it through the cargo, but the owner, who is a representative of a local laptop production company (I don't mention the company name here not to make their advertisement), lives in the same town and he'll collect it himself next week...;)

Attached Files:

10. brokenlighter macrumors member

Some of these guys have allot of experience with airbrushing. And general computer modding.

http://www.themodnation-forums.com/

I've painted a few cases with regular spray paint and a clear coat and they have always turned out awesome.