Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bereda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
ive painted many things in the past including cars but im thinking of painting my mbp once i take it apart im thinking of using a matte finish its actually ultra flat and once i get the back apart im taking the logo out and using a candy (clear color) to spray the logo gold and use a gold piece of filter behind that but the look im going for is black and gold logo, ox blood red and gold or black logo, forest green with a dark grey logo, dark gray with gold or forest green logo, or blue with gold or white logo... help me out guys

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
ive painted many things in the past including cars but im thinking of painting my mbp once i take it apart im thinking of using a matte finish its actually ultra flat and once i get the back apart im taking the logo out and using a candy (clear color) to spray the logo gold and use a gold piece of filter behind that but the look im going for is black and gold logo, ox blood red and gold or black logo, forest green with a dark grey logo, dark gray with gold or forest green logo, or blue with gold or white logo... help me out guys

Make sure it's within the 14-day return period or you won't be able to return it to the Apple Store if the paint job isn't all you hoped for.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Go to http://www.colorwarepc.com. I would use them for the whole job, but if you are that comfortable taking it apart and painting it yourself, then at least use their site to experiment with different color options to see what you would like the looks of. Then be prepared to void the warranty, hurt (or help) the resale value, and be taking a big risk that it comes out ok.

And don't paint the track-pad.

bereda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
my warentes been gone for a while lol im sure i can handle the painting theres only 2 things im uncertain about 1 is the vent holes 2 is if i should use a primer ( but i dont think i will since the paint im using dries like a powder plus the aluminum allready has a sort of eched surface

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
You would be better off anodizing the alum. I'm surprised apple doesn't offer it already.

Its technically something you could do at home but there are companies where you can send the aluminum to and they can do it in a wide variety of colors. It wont peel like paint its electrically bonded to the metal.

hacksaw-C87

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Birmingham England

You are a far braver man than I. Good luck to you sir. I look forward to seeing the results.

If I could (afford to) I'd make my UMB all white. Love the all-white look, hate the plastic feel of the old MB. If only there was a cheap alternative :( Nevermind, I'm more than happy.

bereda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
ill be painting asap i dented my baby :( i need some help on color choices give me some ideas!!! would the english flag be corny ? oh can some one point me to a dissembally tutorial

grodgers

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Go to http://www.colorwarepc.com. I would use them for the whole job, but if you are that comfortable taking it apart and painting it yourself, then at least use their site to experiment with different color options to see what you would like the looks of. Then be prepared to void the warranty, hurt (or help) the resale value, and be taking a big risk that it comes out ok.

And don't paint the track-pad.

I wonder if they recommend Turtle Wax?

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
ill be painting asap i dented my baby :( i need some help on color choices give me some ideas!!! would the english flag be corny ? oh can some one point me to a dissembally tutorial

english flag would only look good if you are british and you live outside of england, otherwise it would look well....

The electrolytic "metal bathing" proposed sounds a interesting idea, specially for the fans of gold and silver, though certainly is not something that anybody could do (I presume some kind of experience is needed, to make sure the coating is even all along etc.)

Lastly but not least stick to one color (unless you use a combination that works, and dont use more than one color) or it will look messy. (E.g. of colors that work together black-red green-blue, etc)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
english flag would only look good if you are british and you live outside of england, otherwise it would look well...

The British have enough nationalistic pride to display and wear their flag, as opposed to the majority** of Americans who think doing so is uncool; however, if you're American, doing so is questionable unless you are of British heritage, are an expat, ride a Triumph motorcycles/drive a vintage Triumph car, or are a hipster.

** Don't get your panties in a bunch if you somehow think I meant you specifically

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
The British have enough nationalistic pride to display and wear their flag, as opposed to the majority** of Americans who think doing so is uncool; however, if you're American, doing so is questionable unless you are of British heritage, are an expat, ride a Triumph motorcycles/drive a vintage Triumph car, or are a hipster.

** Don't get your panties in a bunch if you somehow think I meant you specifically

I am just saying that if he is an american (or other country rather than england) showing off the british flag is not that cool, and if he is british but lives in england then it makes little sense to do that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.