Has anyone ever queued for an Apple product launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by harry92, Jun 21, 2010.

1. harry92 macrumors newbie

Jun 17, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I am going to queue outside o2 or the Apple store on Thursday 24th for the iPhone 4 launch. Has anyone ever queued before and what do you have to do - in terms of arriving e.g. 3 hours before opening time. If you guys have any tips for me please let me know.

2. Loki666 macrumors member

Jun 19, 2010
    Qeued? Errrr stood in line? Search there are numerous threads on here
  3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    For the iPad
    For the iPhone 3G
    For the iPhone 3GS
    For Mac OS X Leopard (It was also a store opening in Gilbert)
  4. diabolic macrumors 68000

Jun 13, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I did it once, but much prefer having a pre-order delivered to my house now. I think the lines will start earlier and be longer this year if the pre-orders are any indication. I would wonder if getting in line 3 hours before opening will guarantee you getting one. I'm not sure it would this year.
  5. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Jan 26, 2008
    I stood in line for the 3G a few years ago. Advice is to bring some food and water, bring something to pass the time, and enjoy the conversations you have with your fellow Apple enthusiasts. A lot of people cringe at the thought of standing in line for a phone but everyone should do it at least once. It really can be fun.
  6. treyjustice macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2009
    Everytime! Bring a comfy fold out chair, A cooler with drinks and food, and a friend!
  7. lidomkj macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2008
    I waited in line every year except last year. For the first release, I showed up 4 hours ahead of time at Att and was 9th in line. For the 3g, I showed up 2 hours early and was same in line at the Apple store. Last year, I waited a month because I was not sure if I really wanted the 3gs, but ended up getting it anyway.

This year, I have 1 reservation (tried 2 but did not get confirmation on the second one) and will be there about 1.5 hours ahead of time to try and snag another one from walk in stock (if there is any).

My Att store and Apple store are in the mall. One tip is to find out which door is for Att vs Apple and which doors open first. I asked the mall guard which doors open first and they were right! Other people camped out at the wrong door and had to get behind at least 50 other people.
  8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

Aug 17, 2007
    My daughter and I stood in line for the original iPhone for about 4 hours. I am thinking about going to my local Apple store around midnight on Wednesday.
  9. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

Aug 18, 2008
    I stood for the iPhone 3G for about 4 hours. It wasn't fun, because it was inside of a mall and there wasn't really any room to sit heh. It would have gone a lot faster had the AT&T servers not crashed. I got to the Apple Store about an hour before they opened. Although it probably depends on which Apple Store you are going to. Like if the store is in San Francisco or NYC I would line up a lot sooner. I don't know about London.
  10. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

Sep 10, 2007
    Beach, FL
    I remember this except I believe it was apple, not ATT. It got to a point where they weren't even opening our phones they just gave it to us to activate at home... I couldn't activate my via iTunes for about 8 hours... it was madness.
  11. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Oct 9, 2005
    8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)

--first-gen iPhone in 2007 (three hours in advance)

--Leopard (a couple of hours in advance)

--3G iPhone (three hours in advance)

--3GS iPhone (an hour in advance -- overslept!)

--iPad WiFi (four hours in advance)

--iPad 3G (four hours in advance)

--Grand Opening, Georgetown (Washington, DC) Apple Store (four hours in advance)

For Thursday's wait in line I'll take my 3GS iPhone (which goes with me everywhere anyway) and my 3G iPad (which also goes with me just about everywhere). Apple employees usually hand out water and sometimes snacks to people waiting in line so I don't bother taking any food or drink with me. I'll use my iPad to keep myself amused when I'm not chatting with the other people in line around me. It's a fun experience!
  12. ttech10 macrumors 6502

May 16, 2008
    Waited in line for the 3G, was too far back in line so went ahead and ordered through the store (AT&T) and got one 3-4 days later.

Ordered a 3GS through Apple.com and received it day one around 10:30am.

Did the same thing for iPhone 4, will be sitting comfortable at my house when it arrives.
  13. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

Aug 21, 2007
    lol. Is your image a bus about to get slaughtered by a light rail train? It seems like something happens with that light rail every week in Phoenix.
  14. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

May 28, 2007
    Northern NJ
    The Brits say "queue" when talking about standing in line. Doesn't bother me since I'm a Comp Sci major: FIFO (First in, first out)
  15. harry92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 17, 2010
    How about its our language and to stand in line is to queue, LEARN THE LANGUAGE!

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    Every launch is different & ever city is different but the longest I ever waited was 3hrs for the first iPhone which hindsight 20/20 was totally unnecessary. I reserved my iPad WiFi -- got there an hour before and was about #50 in line. In and out in 20 min. I bought the iPad 3G last min. I got in line 20 min after opening. I was about #100 in line. In and out in 45 min.
  17. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's actually a group of Valley Metro vehicles, which includes a light rail train, a local bus, and a LINK BRT bus.