Has anyone ever seen this before? Wiped OS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ant the ninja, Nov 9, 2015.

1. ant the ninja, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

ant the ninja macrumors regular

ant the ninja

A co-worker of mine just got her phone about a week ago, 64gb 6S and all of sudden today it started to restart itself, so she hard reset it and this is what has come back on the screen. I have reset it a few times and plugged it in, nothing is reading it. She is still within the 14 day return period so she is just going to see if they’ll swap it out for her. I have never seen this before but in all honesty… I think its pretty cool, not for her but it looks like it wiped the os completely.

Attached Files:

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

iOS is very much like OS X. That's a kernel panic on boot. Try restoring the phone. If it persists then it's probably a hardware fault.

You are seeing the code that results from a kernel panic.

3. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Had a 5C that would do this every iOS update that was done over the air. Plugged in I saw it a couple times but it has since outgrown this and updates work fine. Not sure what it was but it was a pain each time an update was needed. It took a restore each time to get it going again.

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

why didn't you return it ?

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

It was already an older phone once it started happening, kids phone, didn't have any issues past the time it took to update and restore so it was lived with. She still has the phone but this has stopped happening.

6. ant the ninja thread starter macrumors regular

ant the ninja

She brought it to AT&T and they wouldn't help her, even though she was within her return period. They said that she must have done something to break the phone and they wouldn't accept the return, so she is going to go to apple tomorrow and see if they will help her.

I really didn't think they would give her an issue since its within the return window.

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

Try to do a full restore.

8. cnotes2019 Suspended

Dispute it by contacting the card she used to pay for it

9. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Try a regular restore through iTunes. Then try DFU mode restore if that doesn't work. That's a kernel panic, phone is failing to boot as a result. Clean DFU mode install will give the phone a new OS, so if something got corrupted with the last one somehow which is causing the kernel panic, that will essentially be wiped away and replaced by a new, properly functioning OS. However a full DFU mode restore might not be necessary, but yeah. Just thought I'd give an explanation.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Just return it. ignore the one who say to restore it as I would never trust the device after it did this. If you are within your 14 day period, Apple will give you a brand new phone.

Return it and move on with life!

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This is why you avoid buying from the carrier (AT&T) and try to buy directly from Apple whenever possible. the AT&T rep was clueless, unfortunately.

If she takes it to an Apple store, they will be able to help her. And actually, it would be best if she went to Apple from here on out for any issues with the phone itself.

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

ATT are great, aren't they?

13. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

If an iOS device is having hard kernel panics, it's almost always a hardware issue (at least in my experience). Return it.