Has anyone ever taken a survival job before?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JediZenMaster, Jun 18, 2010.

1. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I work for a pretty big telecommunications company (Think Deathstar) :D. And someone did something pretty unethical and dragged my name into it. So now my job is on the line and i'm pretty sure i'm going to get fired behind this crazyness.

The Job market is terrible here in charlotte, NC and i've already applied at a couple of places like sprint and some others.

But it looks like i can live off of my savings for a while or take a survival job. And the job pays pretty alright (15 Dollars an hour). But it not the type of job that i can put my heart in. And i have never had to take a survival job before.

So what would you guys do? Take a job just for the money and do something that you wouldn't put your heart into or Hold out for something in your career field and be frugal?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If I could make more than I could draw from unemployment, I'd take the job and keep looking.

3. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Make sure it doesn't interfere with your job search

if the hours are outside the usual interview hours for the position you are looking for I would take it, but if you have to turn down interviews to go to work(or end up showing up to them looking haggard) then I might think twice...

4. Taldir macrumors newbie

The Charlotte job market is actually pretty good. Just put yourself out there and you'll find someone.

Use Indeed.com, Twitter, Craigslist, etc.

I left a high end position(VP) of a company about two months ago. Ended up getting picked up by a bigger company with a nice raise to boot. Only took a week

5. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

An employed person has a much better chance of getting hired, them somebody that's unemployed. It's an unwritten rule, in many companies, to ignore applicants who don't have work....

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That is a very good point, ButtUglyJeff. And in your case, wear a disguise. ;)

No joke, attractive people have a better shot at the job!!

7. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Your right there also. Loose a few pounds, dress hip, sound educated, have a degree.........

These are all thing employers will judge you on, weather they say they do or not.

It's hell being me, all hideous looking and all. :(

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    No shame in it at all. Done a few jobs that I really hated, and I mean hated, to pay the rent.

Sometimes you just have to eat humble pie and remind yourself it's only short-term.