Has anyone ever thought about waterproofing the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hook'Em2006, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

How cool would it be if apple made the iPhone water proof? It'd be cool mostly because of the camera. I love taking under water and in water pictures. Just a thought.

Now flame on....

2. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

3. Pepper Pot macrumors member

I actually thought about that the other day, but it wouldn't be possible I don't think due to the ports and what not.

4. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

They make water proof enclosures for DSLR's for underwater photography. It could be done but I'm not sure there are enough people who would want one.

5. chembox macrumors 6502a

They have waterproof cases for the iPhone, I'd love to get my hands on one at the beach!

6. Pepper Pot macrumors member

Yeah that's an enclosure, there are already waterproof cases about for the iPhone... but we're talking about the actual phone here.

7. SUN11 macrumors newbie

lol this would help a lot of people. Especially someone I know that left his iphone out in the water during crazy downpour :eek:

8. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

In response to blow tide:

You couldn't and wouldn't have won if Colt wouldna played more than 1 series....

9. Robby C macrumors regular

Robby C

Also, this too. I don't think there would be a large enough market out there.

I don't think they are actual waterproof cases, they may help with bad weather such as rain. But I don't think you can go swimming with your phone with one of those cases. Could be wrong though, never know.

10. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Are these water proof cases able to protect the phone while submerged in water for long periods of time? And if so, is the phone functional while in that case? I believe making the phone itself water proof would be next to impossible.

11. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I've thought of it.

However I've also though about flying monkey's behind purple blasted sun ray's..

Then I stopped using drugs :)

Blonde Buddhist

12. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

It has to be possible... I have a waterproof camera with a mic that fuctions underwater. So does the speaker.

13. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Maybe, but how often will you really be taking photos underwater? If that time could be spent on other features, then I'd rather have it used on more practical ones.

14. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

My dad works in X-ray. He says it's very easy to waterproof internal electrical components and it's done all the time on computer parts he uses for his machines. Companies just don't see a need to do it.

Why?:

It might force them to make the iPhone a tiny bit bigger.

It may be more expensive.

And they won't get any money back for accidental water related incidents.

Remember there was a company that came out for waterproofing mainstream tech gadgets 2 years ago? A previous poster pointed them out, the name is Golden Shellback and I believe (not fact) they've been bought out because other major companies of those gadgets may lose money.

I know it's frickin STUPID, but that's business.

15. megsalias macrumors regular

The Texas backup QB was pretty impressive though for a true freshman.

War Eagle :)

Sorry...I miss football season, so I jump at any and all discussions.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

So your iPhone isn't functional enough that you want it to go under water?

Somehow, I don't see Apple taking the lead on what I'm sure is a burgeoning new sector of cell phone sales. :rolleyes:

17. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Well the ports make it impossible. It'd be cool if it was waterproof and then they sold something to stick in the ports to make a water tight seal, and they sold it for $40. That'd be a gold mine.

18. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

It can be done... Waterproof cameras have ports and the like.

19. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

its entirely possible and may soon be a reality

this company was just purchased by Zagg

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/tag/golden-shellback

20. MrMinor macrumors 6502

No they do not. I own a waterproof phone with ports on it. It has already been done. Granted the phone is large and not a cell phone, but the concept is the same.

21. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Wouldn't a waterproof iPhone require exclusive use of wireless audio and charging to keep those ports dry and corrosion-free. Although these features are already available, exclusive wireless charging would add cost and reliance on bluetooth wi-fi external audio options that shorten battery life and reduce choices. With the charging and audio ports exposed, it seems like a removable waterproof case would be a more practical option. How about a condom to keep your iPhone pristine while enhancing your delight? Like always, a condom failure could be disasterous. I can see it now, each iPhone purchase includes a supply of clear latex condoms with the familiar Apple logo. This would forever link the Apple name with Eden and the original sin. 'Hey buddy, what in the ?$69 are you doing with that shield, it's supposed to be for the iphone' ... as Apple stock prices sky rocket. ;)

22. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

The average consumer has no need for their iPhone to be completely waterproof, so there's no incentive for Apple to spend the extra money and man power to implement such a thing.

However, I think having a water-proof case is a great option if you want something like this. I've never tried one, but seems to me its nice that if you absolutely need a water-proof iPhone for some reason, you can go online and order a case that will fulfill your need.