Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I've always turned off Keyboard Clicks, Lock Sounds, and New Mail. Otherwise it would be annoying, for me with my own phone and for anyone around me I'm sure. I also turned off Keyboard Clicks on my wife's phone because it annoyed me. She didn't notice or complain.

In fact, I was just at a restaurant several hours ago, and there was someone whose phone was emanating all three of those sounds frequently, and I thought "oh, there's someone with an iPhone who doesn't know how to turn off all those annoying sounds"

I don't think Keyboard Clicks is a necessary evil. I can manage 30WPM without it on (and that's without autocomplete, the app I used to measure it didn't do autocomplete), and turning it on doesn't increase my speed. I don't even look at the keyboard while I'm typing. I look at the output only (though see the keyboard in my peripheral vision). I imagine many seasoned iPhone users do this, and do it with Keyboard Clicks off. I'm just saying, I think you just haven't practiced enough with Keyboard Clicks off.

I haven't been a library in ages, but shouldn't you be putting your iPhone on mute/vibrate in the first place?

LOL I literally just turned on keyboard clicks yesterday just to see if it makes any difference. Funny coincidence is Macrumors just notified me someone replied to this thread today.

I've always had it off, except maybe briefly when I first got the OG iPhone. But during this pandemic I'm not going anywhere where I'm in the proximity of others, so there is no one to annoy except my family members, and I was changing the case on my 8plus, and I thought I'd give keyboard clicks a chance to see if the feedback makes a difference like they do with the loud mechanical keyboards I use. I also turned on lock sounds. Apparently in 2013 I had pretty strong feelings about these sounds ?

So far I don't like the keyboard clicks. They feel off, like there is latency between my touches and the sound. But I'll give it a little more of a chance. Also don't like the lock sound. I wish you could use haptics for these, or at least assign a different sound.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I would never tell someone to turn off their keyboard clicks because if they have that feature on I assume the user is disabled.

LunarFalcon

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
I keep them on when I'm by myself, but I keep my volume low. And when I'm in public or with friends, I mute the whole phone. I do have a friend who always keeps his phone, clicks, ringtone, everything, at full blast volume all the time, and it kills me.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Not to judge the OP, but my phone is almost always muted and I turn off the vibrate function on mute too.

I don't feel I need to be that interconnected with every single nugget of data pushing its way into my life.

Plus because people around me generally send one message for each sentence or statement, hearing my phone on the desk vibrate half a dozen times in the space of 20 seconds is infuriating.

The forum member your replying to hasn't been active on this forum since February 26, 2013....

That just means this is a timeless topic ;)

Reactions: decypher44

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I find the keyboard clicks annoying as hell. The only click I allow is lock/unlock.

I also turn off almost all notifications, background refresh, and use low power mode. I don't want to be bothered with unnecessary notifications.

Reactions: Bethanie21

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I’ve had mine turned off for years. It’s been so long I can’t remember the last time someone moaned at me.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
There’s some thing so satisfying about the sound of the keyboard clicks to me but what drives me nuts are every other sound that comes from the phone lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.