Has anyone experienced SSD failure on MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jtsang777, Apr 16, 2018.

1. jtsang777 macrumors member

I was not able to restore the Mac OS from either USB copy of Sierra, factory image of El Capitan, not a internet recovery of High Sierra. It gives an an error to run diagnostics. Diagnostics says no issue found but a couple days ago it said there may be a problem with the storage device (SSD). I went to the Apple Store and found it passed everything except the partition test which I saw mentioned something about HFS+ integrity that failed. They tried reformatting and running First Aid on my SSD and it still couldn’t reinstall Mac OS.

The work authorization is: Attempted to erase and reinstall 10.12 in store but it froze at 78%. Storage diagnostic passed all test except a partition test. Proposed Resolution: Check machine in for SSD triage- run full system diagnostics. Customer is unsure whether he would want to replace SSD if it is failing, call and quote if failure is confirmed. Otherwise re-attempt erase and install.

2. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

First: Did you totally erase the disk?
    Second: I've gotten HS to install on a flaky SSD by creating a second partition on the SSD. Then copy the HS installer to the partition using Restore function. Then boot and run the installation from that partition.

3. jtsang777 thread starter macrumors member

I’ve already erased the disk using both disk utility and Terminal with diskutil erase command. I did not think of a second partition.

4. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

From terminal I like to use the "gpt destroy /dev/diskX" command. That really is supposed to wipe out everything.

5. jtsang777 thread starter macrumors member

I actually did try that and unfortunately didn’t help.