Has anyone flashed HIS 4870 IceQ 4+ Turbo 1GB?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by makoffee, Jun 15, 2009.

1. makoffee macrumors newbie

Hey,
    Wondering if anyone has successfully flashed a HIS 4870 IceQ 4+ Turbo 1GB card for their mac pro? If so does the original apple 4870.rom work or do I need a custom rom?

Thanks for the input,

-makoffee

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I was considering to buy this card because I like the IceQ technology. The Apple ROM is not likely to work because their RAM is only 512 MB. Your best chance is the ROM they use for the XFX4870 I have been told.

3. makoffee thread starter macrumors newbie

good to know

I currently have the sapphire 1gb card - but she runs so hot. I want to crossfire with a second card, but with my card running as hot as it is I wouldn't consider getting a second sapphire. That's why I've been looking into the HIS IceQ 4870 - I hear it runs quite cool and quiet. Sounds perfect for crossfire.

However I wont pull the trigger until I know it will work in the mac pro.

4. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

Each brand (and most often the model as well) of card has a different BIOS (ROM). You will need to dump the HIS BIOS, modify it to include EFI support from the Mac 4870 ROM, and then flash it back onto the card. Read this on how to create a custom ROM, and follow this tutorial on how to flash a 4870.

FYI, as far as I know, the XFX is the only 4870 that has two working DVI ports after the flash. So if you need dual monitor support, grab the XFX. It's what I did, and after I modified the BIOS (link below) it runs nearly as cool as the HIS at idle and under load.

See above... I wouldn't risk using a XFX ROM on a HIS card. swissmann's XFX 4870 ZDFC ROM should only be used for the XFX 4870 (ZDFC model #); make a custom ROM for the HIS.

Modify the BIOS to run cooler, it's not hard. I just posted a tutorial on how to do this with an XFX card (found on page 61 of this thread). Keep in mind that crossfire won't work in OS X.

5. makoffee thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

super_kev,
    You da man - thanks for summing up so much info and providing the links.