Has anyone found a good magnetic USBc charger?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kadify, Jan 5, 2018.

1. kadify macrumors regular

I honestly don't know what apple was thinking when they removed magsafe from the computers=/ I'm looking at the magnetic USBc cables around and it seems the only real one is the griffin break safe which doesn't have very good reviews. I liked the idea of the vinpok Bolt but they're still going through kickstarter production problems so no way of getting one of those with any haste.

2. canuckRus, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018

canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

Don't bother with Vinpok. Total failure after three weeks of use. Poor magnetic strength. No lights to indicate whether properly connected or progress. Seemingly slower recharge speed on the occasions it did work. MagSafe was near prefect. Truly sad it is no longer used. Wsken mag cable for phones and tablets recommended though.

3. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

The loss of MagSafe had me change how I charge my laptop. Now I charge it like my iPad. Use it on battery then charge it overnight. If I’m going to use it while plugged in, then I don’t stretch the cord across the floor like I did with MagSafe.

It’s been an adjustment, but the pluses mostly make up for the loss of MagSafe.

4. kadify thread starter macrumors regular

That's really too bad, I saw their campaign and was really excited because it seemed like the perfect solution but after reading reports of people's cords breaking OR even worse, their computer getting fried, I wouldn't trust the cord even if I got one free.

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Another poster and I were trying to determine if it is possible that such a product would be eligible for USB-IF Certification given existing options are not and, as far as I know, none are Nathan or Benson tested either. Even if the magnetic feature worked well (with which existing options it seems they do not), I would be hesitant using a third party product without IF Certification or an independent approval from N or B.

Frankly, I think USB-C is amazing...and I think a company as powerful and as capable as Apple having not engineered some sort of MagSafe replacement that takes the best parts of USB-C and integrating it with the drop protection of MagSafe is just amazingly...stupid.

x2 - my USB-C Macs are also used on battery power more frequently. I do like how I can get a safe 3rd party braided charge cable for $10...but the lack of MagSafe has resulted in me using the system differently.

6. leman macrumors G3

I doubt that it’s possible to have a reliable magnetic charger that is not permanently connected to the laptop chassis. The reason why MagSafe worked was because it was literally part of the laptop. Any magnetic seal adapter that has to be plugged into USB-C won’t be stable enough mechanically. Not to mention that the usb interface is much more complex than the few pins of MagSafe - and an adapter has to take care of them correctly so that power link can be negotiated properly.

7. loybond macrumors 6502

I have a couple of the Belkin ones. Haven't used them that much, but they seem to work fine.
    [​IMG]