Has anyone found an expresscard Memory card reader...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeeflyboy, May 4, 2009.

1. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

... that doesn't cause sleep issues?

I just bought a Startech 12-in-1 because it said it was mac compatible and couldn't find any reports of interfering with sleep, and yet on my 2009 MBP it does the apparently usual trick of starting to sleep then blipping the super drive and waking up again asking for a password.

Are there cards out there that work flawlessly, or is it just a problem with the expresscard slot as a whole?

Cheers

2. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

I've had no problems with my sandisk express card 34 reader. It fits flush and reads many types of cards (SDHC, which I use most frequently).

It's been in the slot for three months now and It's been running for 48 days through sleep and all.

3. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What card format are your looking for? For example, I have a Delkin ExpressCard 34 CompactFlash reader; works very well.

5. zeeflyboy thread starter macrumors regular

SDHC/SD and memory card mainly

I'll have a look at the sandisk ones - thanks guys!

6. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

My Belkin pretty much stays in my late 2008 MBP all the time; it works great and I forget it's there. I've also used a SanDisk one (as mentioned by others above) and it was great, too.

7. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

As an afterthought ...

Maybe the sleep interference isn't due to the card reader??? I know it may be a long shot, especially if they are prone to causing issues, but as I mentioned I've had my Belkin permanently in my MBP since probably November with no issues; however, in the last week I've started having sleep issues myself. I highly doubt it's due to my card reader since it's been installed so long and I'm hoping it's a relatively common bug that Apple is aware of and working to fix. I haven't reported anything because I know 10.5.7 is due very soon and it's too late to suggest anything new (if it IS new), but I'm hoping that will fix it. If not, I'll start looking closer at what I've recently installed (Cocktail) and maybe investigate my new hard drive a little closer.

Anyway ... all that to say, I've got a great, problem-free card reader, but in the last week have started having problems with the sleep function and will have to investigate it further IF 10.5.7 doesn't fix it.

8. roger6106 macrumors regular

9. zeeflyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers again,

Sarah - in my case it's definitely the card reader. It's a known problem with some readers and the problem goes away if the card is ejected.

10. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but FYI to other people looking for an expresscard reader for their Macbook Pro without having sleep issues:

This product works perfectly, no issues at all:
    Sonnet Technology ExpressCard/34 21 in 1 Media Reader sleep issues

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZH7J9S/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

This product - DON'T BUY, sleep issues:
    Cables Unlimited Card Reader ExpressCard 34mm - IOC-9750
    http://www.buy.com/prod/cables-unli...-mmc-microsd-mmcplus/q/loc/101/205073826.html

11. brandon.vong macrumors regular

I second the Sonnet Media Reader. I have it and it is awesome. No problems whatsoever. I also find that Amazon typically has it for cheaper.

12. zeeflyboy thread starter macrumors regular

seeing as this thread came back anyway, I thought I'd add that interestingly since updating to 10.5.7 the issues with sleep went away using the same card reader... go figure!

13. cube macrumors G5

14. cube macrumors G5

I guess one has to use a CF reader and an xD-to-CF adapter.

What is a good CF reader with UDMA?

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The one I posted works very well or you can consider one from Sonnet Technologies.

16. finalcut macrumors 6502

I bought this one earlier this week and waiting on delivery. I've only heard/read positive reviews.

17. cube macrumors G5

I want an UDMA CF that sits flush, uses PCIe mode and has no issues.

18. rukus macrumors member

you won't get a CF reader that sits flush. there isn't enough room.