Has anyone found "The Case" for your 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bmstrong, Oct 29, 2008.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

I'm curious if anybody has fallen in love and found "the one" for your 3G? What case is it?

2. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

Don't laugh:

Otterbox Defender.

Initially I really didn't think I would ever want this case. After much research on the case it has proven to be the case for me. Yeah its nothing to look at and its bulky but it works for me. My friend just bought one at the mall for his newly replaced iPhone. He dropped his down some concrete stairs and the shock killed his phone. Being paranoid he bought this case. I will say I never thought such a case would peak curiosity of strangers. At the Apple store a group of people wanted to check it out. They thought it was a new Apple device for some reason.

I did buy a case by Vaja called ivolution in a cool orange/white combo. its a real looker (bling bling) but for function its not what i like/want. It also may have scratched the back of my iPhone but maybe not. I like the belt clip it came with. I'm keeping it because its just a nice looking/built case. Maybe I'll use it in the future but its "loud". Bought it at a discount.

Also bought a Sena Elega pouch in black. Not much to say about this one. Nice as it is function wise not practical. I couldn't get the phone out fast and it just seems like a pain to keep trying to pull it out

Friend gave me his Incase Slider in black matte but its chipped up after the drop. He said he doesn't want it. Bad luck :p its an ok case but don't plan on using it.

3. Ruehasa macrumors newbie

No, not yet.
    I have been through 6 cases so far, and not yet...
    My first case was this leather belt clip, no name company in canada, lol it was really good but it just was sometimes uncomfortable and not very stylish...
    Then my second case was this belkin designed silicon case, not very much protection and loose as hell...that was crap, my third case was my closest to 'the case' it was from the same company who made the belt clip i mentioned, it had great protection, but on the right side of the case it kept clicking when i held it, and it was cause i dropped it and it screwed it up....my fourth case was the switcheasy devil capsule rebel, great case, my fave to date back then, only problems, left high side is a bit saggy, and the bottom is saggy, and back scratches a ton....and looks like **** cuz of that, so i got the switcheasy colors, in purple, pretty good, decent protection, a lil loose on the sides...but it ripped and so yesterday i bought the capsule neo and it is GREAT except for 2 things: the I-frame wiggles a **** load, and the 2 condoms that came with it ripped a bit....that last part doesnt really matter tho...and my reseller wont swap it for me....i plan on buying the black neo and mix up the colors, have the condoms black with the clear plastic and the black I-frame. and sometimes with a white condom and the dark translucent plastic and the white I-frame...but I have heard they fixed the wiggle recently, i guess mine was an old case, so the capsule neo white is THE CASE! (if you dont rip the condom)

4. larapumkin macrumors regular

i am so love with switch easy color (pink) but it's being a bit loose in fit..
    but im still sticking with this so cute :p

5. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

ever since I got the incase slider about. Month ago, I've loved it. I will probably just still to the sliders

6. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

co-worker has a Artwizz SeeJacket Crystal which doesn't look too bad if you want something that is going to be for pocket carry. I admit its pretty good for making it look naked. He thinks this is "the" case for him.

Another co-worker has an odd case that looks like tire treads. Its called an iFrogz Treadz Case. He thinks this is "the" case for him.

Even though I'm using the Defender full time who knows, I might use the Vaja at some point. So I don't know if there is a be all end all case :p

7. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Had Contour Flick, Incase Slider, Capsule Rebel, Capsule Neo and I finally ended up sticking with the Marware Flexi-shell. It works perfectly with my best skin ever and stays virtually scratch free because of the material, it's not bulky and is light weight.

Perfect case for me.

8. neil1255 macrumors newbie

I have several since I have different needs.
    For the tough trips or sports, the Defender is THE one.

For sleek with good protection, the Frogz that splits apart is great.
    A complete body cover by ZAGG is a must for cracks and scratches.

I did extensive research. Trust me.

9. mr-macintosh macrumors member

I dont tink there is ONE exact case for me I now own both Neo's a Rebel, a Griffin Elan form and a SGP ultrathin Crystal and I love them all. I think the Neo's are my favorite though so If I were to pick one case, it'd have to be the Neo hands down.

WANT MORE REBELS!

10. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

No not yet, so far I got/tried these cases already:

Griffin Elan Form with Easy dock -> Incase slider black matte & white gloss -> Powersupport AirJacket clear -> Switcheasy White Neo

So far Neo has been outstanding if only they could remove the wiggles, but I really want something that could offer protection without hiding the iPhone aesthetics.

About to try iClear from Griffin.

11. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

I wish I did the full body ZAGG when I first got my iPhone. I put my iPhone in a Vaja iVolution SP for a week (the first case it was put in) and when I took it out the back has a bunch of fine scratches (before putting it in it was spotless!!!!) and the bezel has a single tiny fine scratch line on each side. Especially on the silver apple logo (has lines and dots all over it). It bothered me a lot at first but today i could care less. I know now that its in the Defender nothing is gonna touch it and so far I have noticed no new scratches on my iPhone but again, I think I've reached the point of tiny/small scratches don't bother me. As long as nothing touches the screen I'm good.

12. thomas419924 macrumors newbie

:D ihave had 3 different cases but my baby is the iskin revo 2 onyx i work in an engineering factory and there is a lot of grit and metal about and it protects it great i also think using iklear cleaning kit also helps keep your phone in good condition it certainly helps mine :apple::D

13. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I've tried about 8 different cases. My favorite of all of them, as well as the case that has topped all the cases I've owned on the iPhone original...

Switcheasy Capsule NEO.

14. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

Someone I met at Barnes and Noble had a Capsule Rebel in "Arctic". He showed it to me and he alleges that the case scratched up his phone. The back has a lot of fine scratches and the logo is scratched up as well. I like this case a lot but i settled on the Defender. He told me he dropped it once and showed me the chip it took off the upper left side of the case, very minimal. But he feels the case did nothing for shock protection. I noticed the spine look as if he took sandpaper to it... does the Rebel really mark up the phone?

My Vaja iVolution SP scratched up the back of my phone. Before putting it in I noted the condition of my iPhone. After a week of use i saw a few hairline scratches from taking it out I assume. It also marked up the logo as well with tiny spots and scratches. Not sure how that happened, I guess because I didn't do a wipe down of the Vaja before putting it in? who knows.

15. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

My next case im getting by sat. Its the marware sport grip, just a plan silcone case for some sort of drop protection.
    If i dont like it ill just take it off and live with my full zagg.

At this point if i dont like the marware im going to give up because by the time i find the case that i Love ill be at the apple store lined up for the next verison of the iphone.
    lol

16. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

17. Pared macrumors 65816

I've had about 5 cases and the Incase Leather Folio... and now I'm on the Seidio Innocase.

Absolutely phenomenal case. Any slider fan would love this one even better.

18. taikero macrumors newbie

The Capsule Rebel won't scratch the back of the phone on its own. The only thing that I can think of that could've done it is not cleaning the phone off before putting it in the case. If there were something abrasive between the phone and the soft silicon-like material when the case was installed, I can see that potentially causing problems. However, with the hard spine installed, I really don't think the soft inner cover could move that much, so I 'unno.

From personal experience, the back of my white iPhone is completely scratch-free, including the Apple logo, and I've used a CapsuleRebel since one week after I got my phone -- over three months ago, now. I even go as far as setting my iPhone down on a microfibre cloth if it's ever naked just to keep it that way. :p

The bezel, however, isn't so lucky. Despite not getting one with a 'saggy' bottom, it's still not exactly rigid, and will move up and down while in your pocket. Again, any foreign material between the case and the phone, and you'll have scratches, which has happened to the bottom bezel of mine.

19. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

my iPhone back is scratched up a little and the logo has fine lines through it from putting it into the Vaja I have. I admit I did not clean it or wipe it down before putting it in. Funny what dust particles can do!

The capsule rebel guy had scratch marks that were almost like swirl marks while the logo just had a ton of lines through it going everywhich way. so i can't really see how the case could do that unless its from taking it on and off? doubt it though.

20. actionvaughn macrumors member

actionvaughn

iskin Revo 2. I don't think I'll ever want anything else.

This is love. :eek:

21. BrokenE macrumors regular

From an esthetic point of view, I do love the Seido, but from a combination of practicality, protection and aesthetics, I love my slider. The slider has some decent "lay on the table design" as morpheous calls it, it's fairly minimal, and it's dockable. The lay on the table design is important to me since I have dropped my phone twice and think this feature gives the screen a little more shatter resistance. my .02

22. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

The Seidio Innocase II surface with anti-glare front protector.... but I use my switcheasy color headphone plug and port plug.... can't even tell they're not made for this case... also I used a old anit-glare.. cut it and placed a portion to protect the apple logo...

This case does have lay on the table design... i've actually dropped mine.. well through it on my bed and it bounced off onto my hardwood floor... it took a direct hit on the back... no mark on the cover and no marks on the phone....

just so you guys know I thought the Capsule Rebel was the case for me... until it scratched my bezel....

23. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Sorry to hear this. My iphone is taken out of my Vaja case on a daily basis to charge in my dock. I have yet to see one scratch, or any fine lines in the phone.

I HIGHLY recommend the Vaja case as the one and only case to buy for the 3G.

24. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

You are the first person to ever say the Vaja case scratched their phone. Have any pics??

25. slapppy macrumors 65816

Capsule Neo. With condom placed properly it will not scratch the body or the bezel.