Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I'm considering giving my daughter my current iPhone 14 Pro. I'm thinking about picking up a regular iPhone 15 Plus. Pros are nice but I am not someone who needs the extra zoom lens. My one concern however is going back to the 60hz display. I'm hoping it won't be something I notice for very long. Is the difference more noticeable on a 6.1 or 6.7" display?

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
when I use the 12 PM from my GF i'm always shocked. It's so laggy. That was my phone before upgrading to a 13P.
Would never go back to 60hz.

Reactions: MrENGLISH

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Once you go Pro Motion, you won't want to turn it off. The lag with turning on the 60hz display is very noticeable.

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I switch between a 13 Pro and SE 3. With regular daily use, I see no difference unless you actually look for it. Slow scrolling doesn't annoy me, I just need a phone that works.

BriceApp

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2018
Winston-Salem, NC
I'm considering giving my daughter my current iPhone 14 Pro. I'm thinking about picking up a regular iPhone 15 Plus. Pros are nice but I am not someone who needs the extra zoom lens. My one concern however is going back to the 60hz display. I'm hoping it won't be something I notice for very long. Is the difference more noticeable on a 6.1 or 6.7" display?
You can try for yourself with your current phone. Settings > Accessibility > Motion > Limit Frame Rate

Enable that setting and it will give you full performance on your phone but with a non-promotion display. Like others have said, I pickup my wife’s iPhone 13 from time to time and it just seems laggy to me. My 13PM feels so much smoother and better looking to the eye.

krebphone

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2019
Just turn off promotion on your 14 pro and see for yourself. It's noticeable but you adjust to it in ~5 minutes and don't care anymore. I'd rather have the battery life than slightly smoother animations.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Just turn off promotion on your 14 pro and see for yourself. It's noticeable but you adjust to it in ~5 minutes and don't care anymore. I'd rather have the battery life than slightly smoother animations.
IMO its not the same. I don’t like the 120hz so I turned it off but it looked even worse. Native 60hz was the best for me.

Reactions: srikat

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
i went from an iPad Pro to an iPad Air, so, yes, and it’s a noticeable difference. If I can find a killer deal, I might get a current gen Pro again.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m one of those people who thought I’d never notice ProMotion. But when I went from a 14 Pro Max to a 12 Pro Max a couple of months ago I did need to get used to it. It took a couple of weeks and now I’m fine and it doesn’t bother me at all.

The display on the 14 Pro Max was triggering migraines unfortunately.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
I have the 14PM and 14+. I actually use the 14+ most of the time as I much prefer the weight.

Never really noticed any issues going to the 60Hz display. Apple make (source) great screens irrespective of refresh rate.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
May 28, 2023
I just turned off the 120hz on my Pro to get used to 60hz (already know it from my iPad anyway) and honestly I got used to it pretty quick.

I’m very happy that I ordered the 15 + in Pink. Looking forward to less weight

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I seem to adjust to any screen without a problem. Maybe my eyesight is not as sharp as you guys. 60, 90, 120hz, all looks the same to me.
Just give yourself some time to adjust. I’m thinking about getting just a regular 15 myself in pink. I want something smaller and light to keep in my pocket. If I need a really good picture I can just bring out my S23 ultra.

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
I have a combination of devices with ProMotion (iPad Pro, MacBook Pro) and those without (iPhone 12, Studio Display.) Personally, I don’t think I ever really notice it when switching between them. I know some folks are super keen on ProMotion and feel jitter using ”just” 60Hz screens, but it’s always been very subtle to me.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I definitely notice the difference, but after a few hours or days you adjust. Side by side is where you notice the biggest difference.

HeyMazza

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2022
Baltimore, MD
I switch between a 13 Pro and SE 3. With regular daily use, I see no difference unless you actually look for it. Slow scrolling doesn't annoy me, I just need a phone that works.
Ditto. I went from a 14 Pro to a SE 3 and I also didn't see a difference. Maybe there was, but not enough for my eyes to notice all the time. Maybe they adjusted.
I have the 14PM and 14+. I actually use the 14+ most of the time as I much prefer the weight.

Never really noticed any issues going to the 60Hz display. Apple make (source) great screens irrespective of refresh rate.
Yessssssssss. The weight! I am going from a 14 Pro to the 15+.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
My dad has my old 12 Pro Max and I used it for a few minutes for the first time in a while the other day. The difference is absolutely noticeable! It makes the phone feel laggy and choppy. Turn on low power mode on your 14 Pro to see the difference.

He’ll be getting my 14 Pro Max when my 15PM arrives…

Reactions: ConvertedToMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.