Has anyone gone to an Apple Store to install Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bailorg, Jul 20, 2011.

1. bailorg macrumors member

bailorg

Are they expecting people to just show up to download and install Lion? Do I need to make an appointment?

How long did the process take?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What do you mean? That you don't want to download and install it at home? Here's the process for installation at home (in case you weren't sure):
    1. Buy Lion from App Store
    2. Download
    3. Double-click install
    4. Wait 30 minutes

Done.

3. bailorg thread starter macrumors member

bailorg

I have a maximum 12Mpbs internet connection at home that I don't entirely trust to perform consistently over any period of time. Also, I work very close to an Apple store.

I was mainly wondering if it would be worth my time to drop by the Apple store to download and install Lion there instead of at home.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I plan on doing this too later tonight about a couple hours before the store closes since there will be less people at the store. I'm going to call before I head there too just to make sure it is okay, I'd suggest you do the same.

5. bailorg thread starter macrumors member

bailorg

I probably won't install Lion today, maybe later in the week. Please post your experience if you do go to the Apple store today.

6. Regaj macrumors member

Downloading Lion at an Apple store is certainly a viable option. The employees there shouldn't have any problem with it. The only two issues are: 1) internet speeds at Apple stores are generally of DSL speed/quality. Meaning it'll take awhile. 2) There aren't any seats or tables. You'll have to hunker in a corner somewhere and stand, most likely.

The good news is that it's free bandwidth. Most of us have some sort of metered connection and the notion of using 40, 50, or 80 percent of our monthly "allowance" on this one download isn't very appealing.

7. bailorg thread starter macrumors member

bailorg

Maybe it's just my local store, but I seem to remember running the speedtest.net test at my local apple store and getting something at least in the 20-30Gbps range, if not faster, which would be a significant improvement on the maximum "12" Mbps connection I have at home.

8. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

There were rumors they would have the file cached on their servers so you can download it in a matter of minutes. It might be worth asking someone when you get there. Maybe they have it on a usb, fw, or tb drive, in which case you don't need to wait to d/l it on a 30-40w/e connection.